weber smokey mountain smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mattyoc20

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Aug 11, 2013
Dresher PA
Fairly new to the world of smoking. I got the weber smokey mountain smoker and have used it about a dozen times or so. Anyone else find that it cooks quicker than others? I know they say 1.5 hours per pound but my meats have cooked a lot faster than that all the time. Did a 9 lbs pork butt the other week and it only took 10 hours. Nothing I've cooked came close to the 1.5 hour mark

Hey Matt
I think that 1.5 figure is a real ballpark type figure that's meant to cover tons of smokers and tons of temperatures that people smoke at. My WSM typically likes to run at 225-250 with a few little dipsey doodles up and down thruout the cook. I'm sure some people with electric or pellet smokers might be cooking at much lower temps , which is certainly going to translate to longer cooking times.
I've never really calculated the pounds to time ratio of my cooks , but I do know that the brisket I did was a little under an hour per pound...but it was a small brisket.
The WSM is a great smoker. I have really enjoyed mine.

I really enjoy mine as well. As to bama bbqs question I typically smoke everything around 225. I don't like going higher than that. I also typically don't do anything over 10 lbs and that's on the high side for me. Thanks for all the help guys

Check the temp at grate level with a calibrated thermometer. Something is off. A 9lb butt shouldn't be done in 10 hrs at 225.

We will see what happens today putting a 9 lbs pork butt and 6 pound brisket on today
We look forward to your outcome.  I gotta agree that a 9lb butt shouldn't be done in 10 hrs at 225.  Oh and don't get too wrapped around the axle with Hambone's high level technical terms like "a few little dipsey doodles up and down thruout the cook".  LOL

Checked the temp gauge on the smoker with my meat thermometer and everything checks out. I am hoping to pull the butt off at around 4-5 tonight but want it to be done to early

Everytime I do a pork butt it takes a very predictable "S" curve to completion. Your cook is normal on any pit. It seems like it will straight line to completion but mine never has. Here's what I mean:

Note that I am cooking at a higher temp that your 225*. At 225* your stall will probably last longer than my slow climb to completion. Don't panic and bump up the temp. Just let it ride and your patience will be rewarded.

Last edited:
Will do pork butt is at 195 right now going on ten hours. Like I said before the 1.5 hours per pound rule has never applied to any of my smokes. Not sure why. As for the log, I started one a few weeks ago to track my smokes. Thanks again for the help

Just pulled the Butt off at 205.  took about 10 hours 15 minutes.  Why does it cook so quick?  the brisket is holding fast at 170 right now i put that on about 9:20 this morning?  Pork is resting in the cooler pics will follow

Everytime I do a pork butt it takes a very predictable "S" curve to completion. Your cook is normal on any pit. It seems like it will straight line to completion but mine never has. Here's what I mean:

Note that I am cooking at a higher temp that your 225*. At 225* your stall will probably last longer than my slow climb to completion. Don't panic and bump up the temp. Just let it ride and your patience will be rewarded.

See , those little wrinkles in the red and blue lines are what us Atomical Fizzisizzes call dipsey doodles. :biggrin:

I've checked it though the temps aren't off I'm positive off that. The pork butt was off the hook. My brother said it was the best he's ever had. The brisket was good. I've made better. It came out a little on the dry side. I'm sorry I forgot to take pics. I know I'm a jerk. I can even take pics of.leftoveleftovers bc there isn't any. Always a good sign I guess. But thank you all for the help. This is a great forum.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky