Weber Kettle upgrade?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

longarm

Original poster
Sep 3, 2015
   I am using a Weber Kettle with a Smokenator. I cook year around and would like to come up with some type of 'blanket' to help hold the heat in. If there is a downside to the Kettle/Smokenator setup - it is the limited amount of coals it will hold to keep temps up at colder outdoor temps

You can get that reflective insulated blanket thing that people use to wrap hot water heaters and such. You'd have to leave the top uncovered somehow. I have no idea how you would fabricate it but it's an idea.

Lots of guys use Welding Blankets to keep their babies warm...JJ

It's essentially more of a fuel mass problem than a heat retention problem. On cold days, get rid of that little smokenator setup and just bank your coals behind a couple firebricks laid slightly overlapped and then wrapped in aluminum foil and used as a barrier. Works great. Here's what I'm talking about:

Bury some wood chunk under the unlit coals and you're smokin'!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky