Weber Kettle Restoration

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Starke27

Original poster
Oct 1, 2021
Recently sold my gas/charcoal grill and electric smoker to fund my purchase of my old country pecos which I have been obsessed with since I got it. But I went to grill over the firebox and it was just not big enough. Decided I was going to get a Weber. Couple weeks later my father in-law decided he was going to get rid of one of his two. I took it to restore. Told him I would fix up his other one too. These both looked the same when I started. One is a 1991. The other is a 1992. Pretty happy with the way it came out. Time to get it fired up and start using it.

Attachments

• 8FA0B4F9-4EE9-4992-9681-57116A5A089F.jpeg
    8FA0B4F9-4EE9-4992-9681-57116A5A089F.jpeg
    189.9 KB · Views: 111
  • F5B66C2F-E10D-42A6-A5BC-4A3669292143.jpeg
    F5B66C2F-E10D-42A6-A5BC-4A3669292143.jpeg
    240.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 21719F8C-1A0B-4726-ADDD-7A504E5E0E23.jpeg
    21719F8C-1A0B-4726-ADDD-7A504E5E0E23.jpeg
    263.5 KB · Views: 111
Did you contact Weber? I bought a new Weber kettle in 2000 after we moved to Florida. Gave the one in Wisconsin to a friend as I didn't want to pay for storage. In 2009, I noticed it was rusting out around the legs at the bottom of the kettle. I remembered at that time, they were supposed to have lifetime warranties against defects, which included rusting out. I called them, they requested a picture of the serial number and the areas of the kettle that were rusting. About 2 weeks later, I received a new kettle shipped to the house.

Did you contact Weber? I bought a new Weber kettle in 2000 after we moved to Florida. Gave the one in Wisconsin to a friend as I didn't want to pay for storage. In 2009, I noticed it was rusting out around the legs at the bottom of the kettle. I remembered at that time, they were supposed to have lifetime warranties against defects, which included rusting out. I called them, they requested a picture of the serial number and the areas of the kettle that were rusting. About 2 weeks later, I received a new kettle shipped to the house.
I probably could but I wanted to fix this one up because of the age. Where the legs are was rusted and starting to rust through barely. I Drilled the three spot welds for each leg and put bolts/nuts through with a piece of sheet metal to reinforce it a little. Now that I have done that, I doubt they would honor a warranty.

Nice work on cleaning up the kettles . I use Mothers car wax on mine .

The kettle I use presently is a 3 handle,
The one that's at my Dad's house is an '83 . I thought for sure it was 3 handles , but when I checked last week it was only 2 . That one is the first kettle I bought when I bought my first house .

The one that's at my Dad's house is an '83 . I thought for sure it was 3 handles , but when I checked last week it was only 2 .
That's odd, I assumed they got fewer handles as a cost cutting measure and an older one would have more handles.
I got the F code one I'm using right now used, so maybe someone switched lids?
I sure do miss using the three daisy wheel bottom, metal kettle handled, and chocolate colored oldie. The performance when doing low and slow cooks was waay better, hell, it performed better across the board. Thicker steel and porcelain will do that. They sure could have done a better job with their "Anniversary Edition".

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
So many reason to love Weber. I still go to my Grandma's house and cook the family meals on their kettle grill that I guarantee is older then I am (i'm 34 lol) it just sits in a cheap shed with zero cover or anything and still remains in great condition. Whenever it comes time to clear the house out, I'm calling dibs on that grill and I know zero family members will deny me the 1 request I'll have :P

It's not just any Weber, it's my grandpa's weber! :emoji_smile:

Reactions: DonP and Plinsc
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky