• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Weber Kettle Lid!?!

WaterinHoleBrew

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 18, 2013
Hey all, been cooking on a Weber for years... My son recently requested a Weber for his birthday...

Some noticeable difference in the lid of my old kettle and his new one. Almost like they put a heat disbursement on the new one! Anyway, just my observation!

Your thoughts?

37C12FC7-7D82-44B9-BA15-96069918B816.jpeg

My old faded lid handle!

FE838B40-664B-464E-A6C5-DA7611F23FAF.jpeg

His new Weber lid!

noboundaries

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 7, 2013
Definitely looks like a heat deflector to me. I wonder if the Vortex had anything to do with the change? I've got the same old handle as you, Justin. Never had a hot handle until I used the Vortex for the first time. Grabbed it bare handed and screamed a bunch of punctuation marks!

WaterinHoleBrew

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 18, 2013
Definitely looks like a heat deflector to me. I wonder if the Vortex had anything to do with the change? I've got the same old handle as you, Justin. Never had a hot handle until I used the Vortex for the first time. Grabbed it bare handed and screamed a bunch of punctuation marks!
That was my thought as well Ray! I really do think the vortex had some play in the handle difference! I literally felt your pain as I did the same... I was sure I branded my hand with a Weber emblem!

JLeonard

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 17, 2020
My kettle has the deflector also. But the handle does still get pretty hot when I use the vortex.
Jim

Fueling Around

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 10, 2018
I don't think it is a vortex driven change.
I rescued a 90's vintage kettle off the curb a few years ago.
It had broken wooden handle on the lid and none on the kettle.
Local Lowes had the tool hook hanger plastic handles for $1- so i got two. Works great on the kettle handle and love the utensil hook. Tried on the lid and wow it got hot, yelping hot as noboundaries noboundaries described in his post.
I don't use a vortex. Most of my grilling is piling coal in a corner.
Went back to broken wood handle on the lid and no problem with hot handle.
One of these days, I will make a new wooden handle for the the lid.

Anyone want the tool hook hanger plastic handle?

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Always safety first and in these days anything to avoid a law suit. Mine does not have heat shield and wish it did.

Warren

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
My handle has the deflector too, but with the vortex you still need welding gloves to get the lid off.
Al

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Thanks Justin for the like it is appreciated.

Warren

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.