Weber Kettle 22" ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bigtank

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 10, 2018
Algona IA
I've never owned a Weber Kettle grill and I'm considering getting one. Can anyone explain the difference other than colors between an Original Premium, the Master Touch and the 70th Anniversary Edition. Is mostly cosmetic or do the have different features?

Reactions: JLeonard
I got the one with the coal dump basket underneath. I didn't go with the Performer as Dave mentioned simply because I keep all my Webers in my shed, space is limited.
The very bare bones minimum is fine to start with, get some experience with it and if you think you need the upgrades, then go with a another one.
You will have plenty to learn with a kettle.
Go ahead and get a Vortex while you're at it.
YES!
A vortex will allow you to do so much more than the stereotype flipping burgers and dogs..

I got the one with the coal dump basket underneath. I didn't go with the Performer as Dave mentioned simply because I keep all my Webers in my shed, space is limited.
The very bare bones minimum is fine to start with, get some experience with it and if you think you need the upgrades, then go with a another one.
You will have plenty to learn with a kettle.

YES!
A vortex will allow you to do so much more than the stereotype flipping burgers and dogs..
That Vortex was an absolute game changer for my Weber. Best wings, and beer can chicken (I drank the beer before) I've ever made.

I have the premium and like it. I had a used performer and like some others had said it is nice having a table built into the grill. I would recommend any of them that has the “one touch cleaning system” it’s nice to have the ash sit in a bucket instead in the little tray on the cheaper model. Oh and yeah a vortex is a must haha

I got the 22 with the ash catcher last Spring. I have yet to have a bad meal off it. The Vortex? Must have IMO. Wings, thighs cook to perfection every time. Save on fuel and crispy skin. What's not to love?
Oh and the ash catching bucket is a great idea. Best grill I have ever had. I used to own LP grills in the past, never again. Food tastes better with charcoal, not even close. Plus you can use wood for the fire too. Just so adjustable, wish I had done the switch years ago.
I have the 22 grill and the 22.5 WSM. I am henceforth a Weber supporter.

I have the basic 22" kettle. As others have said, it is a versatile piece of cooking equipment. So much you can do with it. And a ton of stuff you can buy for it. Vortex needs to be first on the list.
As for the different models, get what you think will work best for you.
Jim

My experience from owning different model kettles through the years:

*Performer model with gas ignition - no good for low and slow due to gaping hole where gas tube is.

*Any model with bail that holds lid - smoke/heat can blast you in the face when lid is up, if any wind it creates an eddy of smoke heat- never had a problem with hook on lid as many complain about.

* Ash can models are nice, but not a necessity.

Lately Weber has made it harder to compare the models, but I'd go with the basic ash tray model (cheapest), or the ash can model (second cheapest).

I currently run a 1984 wood handled model with the tray ash catcher.

difference other than colors between an Original Premium, the Master Touch and the 70th Anniversary Edition.

The original premium
Has the enclosed ash bin
Has the hinged cooking grate
Uses a lid hook to store the lid when opened . ( no lid bail )

Master touch
Has the above features plus :
Hinged cooking grate with removable middle section . ( takes inserts and acc . )
Comes with charcoal baskets
Has the lid bail for storing the lid when open .

Anniversary addition
Has the Master touch bells and whistles
with added cosmetics .

Original kettle
Solid cooking grate ( no hinge for adding charcoal )
One touch clean out with open ash catcher
Lid hook for storage when lid is open .

If you look at the Performer series , there are 3 levels .
Performer
Has a folding table
enclosed ash bin
Hinged grate with removable middle section
Lid bail

Performer premium
Full sized fixed table
Lid bail
enclosed ash bin
Charcoal storage
Hinged grate with removable middle

Performer deluxe
Same as premium
With the added propane charcoal assist to light
the charcoal .

*Performer model with gas ignition - no good for low and slow due to gaping hole where gas tube is.

*Any model with bail that holds lid - smoke/heat can blast you in the face when lid is up, if any wind it creates an eddy of smoke heat- never had a problem with hook on lid as many complain about.

* Ash can models are nice, but not a necessity.

Lately Weber has made it harder to compare the models, but I'd go with the basic ash tray model (cheapest), or the ash can model (second cheapest).

I currently run a 1984 wood handled model with the tray ash catcher.
I never had a problem with the gas tube causing low and slow problems, but I will have to admit that I really don't like the lid bail. I gave up on it after about 2 uses. I just set the lid on the ground.

I'm a fan of the Master Touch ash basket & extras. So I think the additional $ is worth it. Only thing I might do different is get the 26" the first time.

Reactions: chopsaw
I got a roughly 1995 vintage free off the curb basic 22" kettle.
I had to replace the charcoal grate (Weber only) and cook grate from hardware store.
I had a second cook grate that I cut out cross wires to add fuel, but I ran over it with the snowblower and never replaced it.

Last winter I got a 18" Jumbo Joe. Only 2 of us so almost all our cooking is on the JJ.
The 22" got used twice last summer. I need to get a hinged grate for the JJ. I also need to modify the fuel grate as I use lump and the shards drop through.

Got another JJ this winter to stay here in FL.

I got a roughly 1995 vintage free off the curb basic 22" kettle.
I had to replace the charcoal grate (Weber only) and cook grate from hardware store.
I had a second cook grate that I cut out cross wires to add fuel, but I ran over it with the snowblower and never replaced it.

Last winter I got a 18" Jumbo Joe. Only 2 of us so almost all our cooking is on the JJ.
The 22" got used twice last summer. I need to get a hinged grate for the JJ. I also need to modify the fuel grate as I use lump and the shards drop through.

Got another JJ this winter to stay here in FL.
yeah around here curbside does not last long, scrap guys know just when stuff like that go out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky