weber 22 kettle mod . unknown hinge vs weber bail ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JeffB1961

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 1, 2021
soooo ... i'm clumsy sometimes , i have a 22 inch premium kettle and i can too easily see me missing the lid hook and the lid falling and bending and loosing it's seal . was looking at the unknown hinge and it looks very solid and durable ... but i think i like the bail better because the lid can be easily spun to keep the top vent opposite of burning coals when using the snake method but still easily moved to the bail to hold it . the hinge has a pin to easily unhook it to spin .... but i'll be back to the hook that is less than ideal IMO .... but i do appreciate that it's there .

what are y'alls thoughts on hinge vs bail ? i'd be getting the performer bail because it lets the lid stand more vertical according to BBM .
bail mentioned at 4:15

has anyone added the bail to a premium kettle ? i'm thinking it couldn't be too difficult to properly drill the bolt hole locations to add it but i'd appreciate tips if anyone has done this or can share info on it .

take care , jeff

Lid bail all the way . I need to get the hardware for my Performer . The slides are melted . I thought Premium Kettles came with the bail ?

Reactions: JeffB1961
i just got a brand new premium from amazon last week and it doesn't have the bail , just the hook under the lid . the master touch and above have the bail and the performer has the more vertical bail . i'm strongly leaning towards the bail .

Attachments

• 20220311_133740.jpg
    20220311_133740.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 18
yep , it can get confusing what version has what features and they change things without advertising them . exp. my premium has p vents but in the past they didn't . it is what it is ....

top of the line, middle, and lowest class
I just did some reading , and like I said I'm no expert ( I was right ) . Looks like the top of the line Kettle is the Master touch . Premium is in the middle .
They all cook the same .
In my search for lid slides , I ended up with an Only Fire multi use rotisserie ring .
Guess I better thaw some chickens .

• Haha
Reactions: clifish
I just did some reading , and like I said I'm no expert ( I was right ) . Looks like the top of the line Kettle is the Master touch . Premium is in the middle .
They all cook the same .
In my search for lid slides , I ended up with an Only Fire multi use rotisserie ring .
Guess I better thaw some chickens .
That is the one I just bought $80 wasn't bad...as long as it fits tightly.

I have a 20 yo kettle at home. Yes, the lid hook is not a good thing. Even if you have it hung correctly, a good gust of wind will send the dome dancing across the concrete.

Picked up a Jumbo Joe a couple months ago. It had a bail to lock the dome in place for transport. The bail also swings down to make a dome rest. I love it.

Oh you got the one that is also a pizza maker? We have too many great pizza places here to have that...lol
Yeah . I was after the roto , but this had the pizza option too . Had a gift card , so I'm in at $100.00 .
I got the pizza down pretty good using the oven .
We also have some great pizza around town .

Reactions: clifish
amazon link shows $99.99 in black for me and $119.99 in SS .
"... Fits Weber 22-1/2-inch charcoal kettle grills and other similar kettle grill. ( Do not fit 22" WSM cooker) ..."
i didn't know they were different sizes . no biggie , a rotisserie isn't on my radar .

amazon link shows $99.99 in black for me and $119.99 in SS .
"... Fits Weber 22-1/2-inch charcoal kettle grills and other similar kettle grill. ( Do not fit 22" WSM cooker) ..."
i didn't know they were different sizes . no biggie , a rotisserie isn't on my radar .
interesting I wonder if it is because I am a business prime member or just order a ton from them...lol

. Fits Weber 22-1/2-inch charcoal kettle grills and other similar kettle grill. ( Do not fit 22" WSM cooker) ..."
It's the way the lid fits . The kettles lid goes outside the bowl , and the WSM lid fits inside .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky