Weather isn't cooperating with curing times

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rockyonekc

Original poster
This is my 1st winter learning about curing meats and my 2nd attempt at BBB. The 1st attempt was EQ brining, and it came out a little too ham-like for my taste. I now have 12 lbs of pork shoulder in the fridge with Disco's rec. amounts of #1 cure, kosher salt and brown sugar to make BBB. I am at the end of the recommended cure time and the weather forecast for the next few days is light rain, freezing rain and blizzard like snow conditions. My MES smoker sits on my uncovered back deck and it will be way too windy to put out the pop-up awning or umbrella that I normally use in wet weather. I likely won't be able to fire up the smoker until next weekend, weather permitting.

The pork shoulder is cut down into roughly 2 lb chunks and individually vac sealed with most of the air out of the bags. Can I just throw the bags in the freezer until next weekend, dry cure and all? Or should I remove rinse and re-seal before I freeze? I don't mind rinsing and soaking after they thaw to get the salt level right. Just trying to save time and $.

What would you do?

Fire up the MES any how if it was light rain. <I've done chuck roasts in candidly what was considered weather where the TV guy said to go in the basement.>.

Other wise, consider cold smoking it during the lesser rain, and finishing i in the oven if need be. I don't believe you can just freeze it with the cure. I'd do the soak to get the cure off and then vacc seal and freeze personally if I were to go that route, but I suggest just firing up the MES. I assume you got an AMNPS or similiar device? So you don't have to go out there in the rain every 30 minutes?

If you followed Disco's bacon recipe, you will not need to soak it to adjust the salt...
As far as the weather goes, leaving it in the fridge won't hurt it at all... it will be good for another week or so...
Check your fridge temp to insure it is between 35-38.... You will be golden.....

Reactions: rockyonekc
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky