We Made "The Bride's Salsa" by Dave Omak.. Thanks for the Posting Dave.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

old bones

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 23, 2012
East Central, Minnesota
My garden is about done for the season, I still have a few Egg Plants, Cabbage and Carrots and Tomato plants out there so this past week I was looking for a simple recipe on ‘How to Make Canned Salsa.’ The better half always wanted to try to can some salsa but we never get around to it; after printing out several recipes from the net, what do I find in the archives but Bride's Salsa Recipe...by Dave Omak. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/126578/brides-salsa-recipe

I’m not a big fan of store bought Salsa but being that I had canned about 40 quarts of tomatoes and still have about 60 pound to tomatoes to do up and more in the garden, I thought this might be a good time to try some Salsa.

We made the Bride’s Salsa by Dave Omark and had a little left over so we let it cool down in the fridge for a taste test. Wow!! After it cooled we had a little taste, we looked at each other and knew we had a winner. Back in to the kitchen we go, that night we made a second batch, this time we used my hard neck garlic and little corn added to it.

The battery for my camera was low so I could only take a picture of the first part of the second batch..

Had a taste test of the second batch...

They say "The third time never fails" so after a late night / mid morning W.Mart run for more pint jars, we made the third batch.. This time we added two cans of tomato paste, we were short on the red peppers so I added some of my smoked red bell peppers.. I'm thinking a pint of salsa and a quart of tomatoes would be a good base for some fantastic chil.

Thanks for posting the recipe Dave, The Better Half said that You Must Eat Good..

John

Last edited:
Reactions: disco
I'm glad you enjoyed it....  I do eat good.....  I almost broke the weigh scale at the Doc's office a few months ago.....  The nurse asked my height and I think I told her 9 feet......   She didn't believe me...     That hardneck garlic will kick the salsa up about 3 notches......  Dave

Looks-Great.gif

Yep! I think ‘The Bride’ really hit on something here. :first:

I’m not one for some of this store bought stuff so when I find something good, I go with it. We still had a half jar of some type of salsa in the fridge; needless to say this morning I washed out the jar and now use it for some of my dried parsley.

The Better Half never did can much until she met me so this is all new to her. I came from a Polish background and I was a skinny little kid; because my hand was so small, it was my job to wash all the jars (and pack them with cucumbers) so all this canning stuff is not new to me.

The Better Half was really pleased with the taste and the results of the first batch. We kind’a bonded with the other batches; she even let me help her in the kitchen.. I got to wash all the jars, cut up the onions and do the clean up later.. :icon_confused:

Making some chili tonight; I’m thinking a pint of the salsa and a few tomatoes would make a good base but not sure she’d let me use one of HER jars. Did you ever get one of them looks like you best not touch that? When I got up this morning she was counting jars, doing the math and looking at the pile of tomatoes. She was saying something about 52 weeks in a year. She needs some of the jars for a carrot jam so I’m thinking when we go out for the New Coffee Grinder, I’ll be picking up more pint jars.

Thanks again,

John

Today at Wally World (Walmart) they had their jars on an End Cap...wondering if they are trying to get them moved out for other more seasonal stuff.  Price wasn't cheaper...but better get some now.

Kat

Today at Wally World (Walmart) they had their jars on an End Cap...wondering if they are trying to get them moved out for other more seasonal stuff.  Price wasn't cheaper...but better get some now.

Kat
Don't buy the jars in the white boxes....  I hear they are chinese....   who knows what recycled glass they used....  probably full of lead.....  

Don't buy the jars in the white boxes....  I hear they are chinese....   who knows what recycled glass they used....  probably full of lead.....  

That might explain why the shelves in our store were empty and they only had one box of each (the name brand) type on the end of the aisle. We live in farm country so all the stores (except for the gas stations) sell canning jars and for a lot less than the “Mart” stores.

I prefer the Ball brand...there is another brand...Country Harvest or something like that....don't like those.  A buddy who cans has had them break and crack on her before.

Kat

That is some good looking salsa though! I'll bet it would be a good "base" for chili...

W Mart has had the canning jars on the end cap and also main aisle display for several months here. Their brand (Main Stays) is made in China and only about a $1 cheaper, so I go with Ball and Kerr - they have a mixture of different sizes in these 2 brands.

Tomatoes can be water bath canned.  Anything that has a high acidity can be Water bath canned.

The University of Georgia has great information on their preserving part of their web site.  It has probably more that you want to know....and tons of good recipes too.

Kat

Last edited:
This was interesting ...

Tomatoes for many years were considered high acid. However, new varieties, over-mature fruits, and tomatoes from dead or frost-killed vines may have a pH greater than 4.6. The USDA and University-based researchers have determined that to ensure a safe acid level for boiling water canning of whole, crushed, or juiced tomatoes, add 2 tablespoons of bottled lemon juice or ½ teaspoon of citric acid per quart of tomatoes. For pints, use 1 tablespoon of bottled lemon juice or ¼ teaspoon of citric acid. Acid can be added directly to the jars before filling the jars with product. Add sugar to offset acid taste, if desired. Four tablespoons of 5-percent-acidity vinegar per quart may be used instead of lemon juice or citric acid. However, vinegar may cause undesirable flavor changes.

Thanks to you and Dave Omak for this posting and recipe. I make a lot of salsa and really love it. I can't stomach the store bought stuff anymore. I am always looking for new recipes to try.

Disco

Thanks to you and Dave Omak for this posting and recipe. I make a lot of salsa and really love it. 

I can't stomach the store bought stuff anymore. 

I am always looking for new recipes to try.

Disco
That Pace Picante Sauce make it physically ill... don't know what they put in it.....  When I eat store bought, I eat La Victoria salsa...  

LOL ya know I always thought at some point I would have enough jars. I finally decided I just don't eat enough.  Maybe when my time comes I'll take some to snack on with me.

Never did salsa, always did just diced tomatoes (Chili's are my biggest usage). I was keeping 'em in the garage and I am guessing due to the heat out there with time the seeds are blackening. Really very unappetizing.

Nice looking salsa. Nice photography btw.

Don't ya get all excited when ya start hearing the tops pop?

Last edited:
When I first read this recipe I was a bit concerned about the lack of the vinegar or pressure cooking. I added up my total cooking (boil and simmer) time of 30 min. and at the end a hot water bath for 15 min. for a total of 45 min. Also, the Concentrated Lemon and Lime Juices are higher in acidity than the 5% vinegar. I figured if Dave eats this Salsa and can still gain weight and is around to write about it, it must be safe…

LOL ya know I always thought at some point I would have enough jars. I finally decided I just don't eat enough.  Maybe when my time comes I'll take some to snack on with me.

Never did salsa, always did just diced tomatoes (Chili's are my biggest usage). I was keeping 'em in the garage and I am guessing due to the heat out there with time the seeds are blackening. Really very unappetizing.

Nice looking salsa. Nice photography btw.

Don't ya get all excited when ya start hearing the tops pop?

I know what you mean about the jars, now that the kids are older and moved out, I didn’t think we would ever used all those pint jars again so I gave away around 150 of them to a friend. When you have a big family, you think quarts; the pints were for Jelly and Jams. Now that there are only two of us I soon realized that a quart of green beans goes a long ways so I’m back to washing jars that were in storage for some 25 years.

We use the Ball and Kerr Jars, some of my jars are so old that I could sell them on eBay. The other day I saw where one jar (just like some of mine) went for $42.50, the person listed them as “Antique Jars” Talk about depressing; I remember feeling the same way many years ago when AARP sent me a letter and I thought they meant to send it to my dad.

I know what you mean about that ‘Popping Sound.’ When I was young we used Zinc Caps and Rubber Rings. I was around 8 or 9 years old when mom first used the new type lids. I remember hearing those lids pop; I was so upset thinking my older brother got to go out back hunting and I had to help mom can peaches. :icon_lol:

Thanks for the comment on the pictures. Kat gets most of the credit for those, she was the one who taught me how to post them. Kind'a like "Teaching an Old Dog; New Tricks.."

Back to my canning...

John

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky