Way North Idaho! Hey Guys.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mitchel Klupenger

Original poster
Jul 23, 2018
Hey Guys,
Fairly new guys to smoking. Dabbled in it for a few years, but have not really had the time. Now I'm in lovely Sandpoint, ID and Want to get out and kill it with the smoker. However, since getting up here, Ive a HECK of a time getting wood. Used to live outside SLC and there was a good Bulk store in SLC. Anywhere up here i can get some nice bulk wood? Or do i have to take a trip to SLC for it?
Also, to the 2 most important park! the smoker. Im using a Oklahoma joes longhorn?? ( or next smallest version of that) for myself. Any decent mods for that? Favorite 20191123_135333.jpg meat would have to be the brisket, With some nice homemade cheddar adn bacon sausages as 2nd.

Smoker in pictures is a buddies of mine. Let me borrow it for a work party, which i was able to run. Nice 10+ hours smoke ON THE CLOCK!! Grateful for that day.

Attachments

• 20190913_061520.jpg
    20190913_061520.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 20190913_061543.jpg
    20190913_061543.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20190913_074204.jpg
    20190913_074204.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 20191123_135342.jpg
    20191123_135342.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 20
Welcome, I'd think there would be plenty of maple and alder up your way that you could use as a fuel wood.
Not knowing what types of smoke wood you have locally you could always order a few different bags of chunks or splits to use as a flavor wood. Good luck let us know what you end up going with.

Welcome from Gilbert, Arizona! Since I move here from CA last year I haven't found much smoking wood growing in the desert. I order bags of splits for my offset from Cabelas, mostly hickory. I usually have to split the splits with a hand ax and hammer, they're thick but dry and burn great. RAY

Reactions: forktender
Hey Guys,
Fairly new guys to smoking. Dabbled in it for a few years, but have not really had the time. Now I'm in lovely Sandpoint, ID and Want to get out and kill it with the smoker. However, since getting up here, Ive a HECK of a time getting wood. Used to live outside SLC and there was a good Bulk store in SLC. Anywhere up here i can get some nice bulk wood? Or do i have to take a trip to SLC for it?
Also, to the 2 most important park! the smoker. Im using a Oklahoma joes longhorn?? ( or next smallest version of that) for myself. Any decent mods for that? FavoriteView attachment 438451 meat would have to be the brisket, With some nice homemade cheddar adn bacon sausages as 2nd.

Smoker in pictures is a buddies of mine. Let me borrow it for a work party, which i was able to run. Nice 10+ hours smoke ON THE CLOCK!! Grateful for that day.
I have family in the Sandpoint area, I love it up there and will most likely be moving up there in a few years.
If I do I'll load a trailer with Oak, Pecan, Cherry and Granny Smith apple wood because of your post.
I'll trade you some wood for some help to figure out the fishing and Elk hunting areas.
Thank you.
Dan

Reactions: kilroy
I have family in the Sandpoint area, I love it up there and will most likely be moving up there in a few years.
If I do I'll load a trailer with Oak, Pecan, Cherry and Granny Smith apple wood because of your post.
I'll trade you some wood for some help to figure out the fishing and Elk hunting areas.
Thank you.
Dan

SOLD!!!
in fairness, this deal is way better on my part. Basically up here, you drive past the last house on a road, then start shooting things :D

• Haha
Welcome, I'd think there would be plenty of maple and alder up your way that you could use as a fuel wood.
Not knowing what types of smoke wood you have locally you could always order a few different bags of chunks or splits to use as a flavor wood. Good luck let us know what you end up going with.
Unfortunately, No maple, and very few oak. I'm also not a tree expert, although ill have to look into it, but i can't tell a maple form a split log. I can t tell pine and ceder though :D

Sorry I'm a little late...Welcome from SC! I got some kin in Burley, not far from Twin Falls

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky