Watery Pork Butts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

askmrhp

Original poster
Jul 3, 2016
Savannah,Georgia
The Smithfield brand pork butts have so much water in them that rubs and injections
kind of washing of my rubs. I am fairly new to smoking and sausage making I sometimes refer to his book. I do have some successes.
Maybe I should salt it or stick a faucet in it to drain out the water.
Jeff says to put the Butt in a pan towards the end of the end of the smoking time . When I
wrap the butt in foil I get a big puddle in the pan in the smoker.
Have any Ideas?
Thanks
Peter (askmrhp)

When you foil your going to collect the juices. They can be used for a finishing sauce if you like. If your butts are overly wet prior to smoking it's most likely enhanced. I would give them a rinse and pat dry with a paper towel. then set them on a plate in your fridge until your ready to throw them into the smoker. Put your rub on just before smoking.
Just my two cents.
Chirs

Take the butt out, rinse off well then dry the butt off with some paper towels, put a little mustard on it and put on your rub, wrap in saran wrap for 12-24 hours and you will be good to go. Not really sure I'm understanding what you are talking about though.

Are you talking about when your foil you get alot of liquid? or are you saying when you run it before putting it in the smoker you notice alot coming out?

Are you talking about when your foil you get alot of liquid? or are you saying when you run it before putting it in the smoker you notice alot coming out?
Smithfield pork butts are injected with water and other stuff(tenderizing). I dried the meat off and put the rub on
It felt soggy. after 4 hours there was juice in the pan and it was not forming a crust.
My first smoker was an Oster roast & smoke. Then I bought an Mes 30" analog now I'm using a Mes 30"digital smoker. this one got up to 280F . My biggest problem is most meat and poultry bought a super markets has 5% water added an will boil instead of browning.
This my first time in this forum so please be gentle.
Thanks

I get what your saying now. And yes there is alot that has moisture added to it. If you have a sams club or costco they carry them that arent enhanced.

As for the ones you had you can rub it let it sit over night in a pan. The salt in the rub will draw the moisture out at least some of it. Then put more rub on and cook. When cooking I leave strait on the racks until 165 degrees give or take a few. Then wrap in foil to finish.

Hope this helps and Welcome.

I get what your saying now. And yes there is alot that has moisture added to it. If you have a sams club or costco they carry them that arent enhanced.

As for the ones you had you can rub it let it sit over night in a pan. The salt in the rub will draw the moisture out at least some of it. Then put more rub on and cook. When cooking I leave strait on the racks until 165 degrees give or take a few. Then wrap in foil to finish.

Hope this helps and Welcome.
Thanks

I was going to say make sure to read the label, but looks like you have . Might help to put where you live in your profile . Some local guys might help with where to buy fresh meats .
Good luck .

Do not be afraid of enhanced or injected meats. I use them all the time and they work fine. As was already mentioned read the label so you have an idea what you're dealing with. Often they are only injected with mostly water, but some may have salt or phosphate. I inject these in mine and consider enhanced meat a step above that of fresh. Others may not, but really prefer the results of my injected meats.

As a fellow MES owner, I find the MES to be a slower and moist smoker in comparison to stick or charcoal burners. Best thing I ever did was learn about doing a pellicle. Basically, you want the meat to be about dry to touch when you put it in the smoker but do a search and read up on it. Couple different ways to go about it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky