Was: RQQ, St. Lois Ribs (in digestion now LOL) OMG

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

desertsubi

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 12, 2016
Tennessee
Im 3 hours deep at 225, first time opening the lid im at 179 already between the bones. I wrapped them at this point as I want them tender, how long should I look at to get to 195ish.
Thinking an hour? Would it be bad to check it in 20-30 probing for temp again? I dont want them fall off the bone thats for sure. And they will be unwrapped for a few at higher temps after
because the wife wont let them come back in the house unless they have sauce on them, I prefer dipping but she has her rules.

Any advise is helpful. Pics will come when I pull them off. So far they look good.

Last edited:
I'm thinking an hour at most. Don't hurt to check earlier if you don't want fall off the bone. Gonna take a little bit to set the glaze. Next time do a his and hers... one sauced, one with sauce on the side! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Reactions: jcam222
In my mind, St Louis is 5-7 hours at 225.

Water pan? Spritz? Wrap with paper? Wrap with foil? Add a bit of liquid in the wrap?

There are so many variables.

I personally don't look at the temp until maybe at the very end.

Good luck :-)

Each piece of meat is different, including ribs! No problem IMO checking them, I personally like bite off the bone… not much of a FOTB fan… but that’s just me! Check as much as you like to a point! Just remember, when they are done to rest for a bit… 10-15 min to let the juices redistribute!

I’m not much for rules by my wife, nor is she to me… We each like things our own way and accommodate each other! Do a rack, cut in half… do half the way you like and half the way she likes!

In my mind, St Louis is 5-7 hours at 225.

Water pan? Spritz? Wrap with paper? Wrap with foil? Add a bit of liquid in the wrap?

There are so many variables.

I personally don't look at the temp until maybe at the very end.

Good luck :-)
While I hear you on time/temps im running at 225, If I went 5-7 they probably would be way past done. Its been about 3 years since Ive smoked anything because I was soo busy working I never had free time to live. Just getting back into being a human again lol. And while I remember most my stuff, I shoot for temps but also check for bend, when i hit my desired temp I lift from the center and see how easy they try to break. Thats my ultimate answer. I just was a bit concerned with how quick these got up to the 170's for as thick as they are.

Also Wrapped with foil, Butter/a bit of water for steam some more rub sprinkled in there as it has sugar in it, and wrapped up. No water pan and no spritzing, Im not a fan of opening lids if I dont have to.

Each piece of meat is different, including ribs! No problem IMO checking them, I personally like bite off the bone… not much of a FOTB fan… but that’s just me! Check as much as you like to a point! Just remember, when they are done to rest for a bit… 10-15 min to let the juices redistribute!

I’m not much for rules by my wife, nor is she to me… We each like things our own way and accommodate each other! Do a rack, cut in half… do half the way you like and half the way she likes!

yea Fall off the bone to me, is great when you got not teeth, but I like chewing a bit too, so Im much like you. They are on the counter now, settling in. Cant wait to get into these as its been forever.

Ribs are the only meat in cook by time not temp. I like a little tug so i tend to donthe 3 2 1 in about 3 1 1 or 3 1.5 .5.

I recommend doing 3 2 1 then tweak to your liking.

I didn't do my for photos as far as the rack other than a plate with everything on it. All I can say OMG... Wife devoured every bite, told me shes going to the market to pick up a few more racks lol...

Attachments

• ribs.jpg
    ribs.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 15
They look great! And the fact the wife wants more is even better!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky