Want to buy a smoker, a few questions.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bigheaded

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 14, 2021
Philippines
I've never owned one, but recently got the BBQ bug and now I can't live without buying one. I did a lot of research and thought I had decided on the Camp Chef Woodwin 20 or 24, or Grilla Siver Bac. But then on YT I stumbled upon a video for the Masterbuild Gravity. I did a lot of video watching and reading articles/reviews. People either seem to think it's the smoker of 2020 (for it's price range) or they think it's a hunk of junk. But I seem to find about 5 times as many good reviews. Nobody seems to be middle of the road about it though lol. Anyways, I had 99% decided on getting the 800. Was in stock when I left yesterday, when I got home later and went to order it, naturally it's OOS. And of course it's a Wally World exclusive, so I can't buy it elsewhere even if I wanted to. I don't need the cooking space of the 1050, and I really like the griddle insert the 800 comes with. Now it could be back in stock tomorrow, but for all I know it could be a month. I've gone my entire life without a smoker but suddenly I need one yesterday lol. Maybe a sign I should be looking elsewhere. And from even the good reviews the MB's do have some issues, but I think in this price range everything will have a few cons.

So like I said, before discovering the Gravity's I was gun ho on getting a pellet grill. I love Charcoal and I like the automation of the Gravity. I think for learning something with a controller would be a good way to start. Every pellet I was looking at hhad a controller, but outside of the MB none of the charcoals seem to. I'd like to keep it around $750'ish, as I'm on a budget and I already have a cart on Amazon full of accessories and a few knives. My Googling's either failing me, or the MB's it. Are there any other gravity fed or similar charcoal smokers from another company? I'm still considering the Woodwind, but I really do love how charcoal BBQ comes out. I'm going to wait a week and see if the 800 pops back in stock. If not, I thought someone here might have a suggestion for a Charcoal smoker that's not on my radar.

Last edited:
Well I have several smokers and wanted 1 of the MB gravity when they first came out, the chute issue stopped me, had 1 in my hand for $250 and decided to wait, they use a lot of charcoal . I have about decided to try to find 1 of the smaller backwoods chubby style, vertical not sure on rack capacity but a quality made and insulated unit. The MB made the same way with the builtin temp controller sounds good but door issues and the ability to see 1 in person has stopped me from buying 1, less than $400

Reactions: hamnajain
I dont think there are any other Gravity Grills. Other Gravity Smokers are very well if not over built and come with big price tags to boot, no controllers. Guys that have Masterbuilts seem to love them as do many that dont mind or like tinkering with a units shortcomings. I, on the other hand, am sceptical of any piece of equipment over $500 that need or will need modifications to get them working right or repair self destruction and poor quality parts.
Between your two choices, I would go with the Masterbuilt Gravity Grill as it is a larger Smokerand is a MUCH superior Grill. A feature that I would get more use out of.
Very few have ever complained their Smoker was Too Big, but lots of guys going Small keep companies in business Upgrading...JJ

I dont think there are any other Gravity Grills. Other Gravity Smokers are very well if not over built and come with big price tags to boot, no controllers. Guys that have Masterbuilts seem to love them as do many that dont mind or like tinkering with a units shortcomings. I, on the other hand, am sceptical of any piece of equipment over $500 that need or will need modifications to get them working right or repair self destruction and poor quality parts.
Between your two choices, I would go with the Masterbuilt Gravity Grill as it is a larger Smokerand is a MUCH superior Grill. A feature that I would get more use out of.
Very few have ever complained their Smoker was Too Big, but lots of guys going Small keep companies in business Upgrading...JJ

I'm with you on buying something for that $$$ that has a few mods that are just about needed if you expect the grill to last. Lucky for me the few mods are pretty inexpensive and so basic a money could install them without screwing something up. My problem here is, I'm impatient. 2 weeks ago I a smoker wasn't even a thought in my head. Now I want one before the end of next week. Would be different if Walmart had a date it would be back in stock. I'm so anxious to make a brisket I'm contemplating ordering the 560 which I could have here on the 22nd. The way my luck goes, if I order the 560 tomorrow the 800 will be in stock the day I get the 560, and it's already put together so I can't return it. And if I hold out, the 800 probably won't be in stock for 60 days lol. I know the LS mod site makes a heat diffuser for the 560 so you can use a griddle. But it's $90 and there's no custom made griddle for the 560. So I'd be stuck with a smaller griddle that just sits on top of the existing grate. Which seems kind of hokey to me, and after buying both it would cost close to the same as the 800, which has a ton more cooking space, a full griddle insert, a shelve and a few of the grips people had with the 560 + 1050 have been corrected. I guess waiting possibly 5 or 6 weeks would really be a #1stworldproblem at worst. - not the end of the world

You saying more space is almost never a bad thing made me think. I'd probably feel the 560 was too small if I ordered it, even if I never made more than 2 racks or a single brisket lol. So I'm going to figure out a way to make myself wait for 45 days to see if Walmart has it back in stock. If not I'll buy a 560 and I guess a Blackstone griddle.

I did find a 3 on Ebay, but they're $950+. As much as I want one I'm not spending $250 extra just to get it.

Thank you for talking sense into me. I'm pretty sure had I not read this message when I woke up I'd be ordering 560 or the Woodwind 20.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
I love my 560, it has room for what I want to cook and I don't heat empty space when I use it.
I'm not sure I would want one put together by a low/er wage employee as mine was a real pain to assemble and I can imagine some screws not being installed or under tightened, etc.
Just to confuse the issue, mine was one of the first sold in 2020 and one would think the guys putting them together would be getting better at it by now.
Lastly, I have a 24 inch PittBoss Kamado, a 24 inch CampChef pellet spitter and a row of Webber units from small to large and the Masterbuilt is what I use 99% of the time, and for one reason, the meat tastes better.
Yes the charcoal bin door position sensor/switches died but I just wired around them and am back in business.
Masterbuilt sent me new switches and a new fan when I bitched about the malfunction and it was out of warranty when I complained, so no complaints from me about customer service.

Reactions: Bigheaded
My problem here is, I'm impatient. 2 weeks ago I a smoker wasn't even a thought in my head. Now I want one before the end of next week.

I completely get this thinking! BUT I would say before you make the investment to really consider what you want and why you want it. What kind of cooks are you going to do? How often are you going to use it? Do you want simplicity of firing something up and having it at temp without any work (which is amazing btw) or do you want to play a little bit with fire management? Do you want something that will eventually need fixing (anything electric) or modifications? Etc etc.

I only ask these questions because I jumped fast into acquisition mode of things and, with more experience and hindsight, wish I would have taken time to figure out exactly what I wanted to do. So if you really want the 800 don't settle for the 560 just bc it's the only one in stock. Just my 2 cents.

I love my 560, it has room for what I want to cook and I don't heat empty space when I use it.
I'm not sure I would want one put together by a low/er wage employee as mine was a real pain to assemble and I can imagine some screws not being installed or under tightened, etc.
Just to confuse the issue, mine was one of the first sold in 2020 and one would think the guys putting them together would be getting better at it by now.
Lastly, I have a 24 inch PittBoss Kamado, a 24 inch CampChef pellet spitter and a row of Webber units from small to large and the Masterbuilt is what I use 99% of the time, and for one reason, the meat tastes better.
Yes the charcoal bin door position sensor/switches died but I just wired around them and am back in business.
Masterbuilt sent me new switches and a new fan when I bitched about the malfunction and it was out of warranty when I complained, so no complaints from me about customer service.

And just like that I’m swaying towards the 560 lol. I still want the 800 but I just checked Amazon and I could have the 560 on the 22nd by 9am. That means I could be eating a rack of ribs for dinner in 5 days. And the $200 I’d be saving over the 800 would be nice.

you saying you own one and use it over your others is really making me about to go submit this order. It is 5am so I should probably sleep on it. And if I wake up still thinking like this I guess it’s the 560.

I appreciate you’re reply, with the collection of smokers you have, you speaking so highly of it’s really making me confident. Have you installed any of the LS Mods?

I completely get this thinking! BUT I would say before you make the investment to really consider what you want and why you want it. What kind of cooks are you going to do? How often are you going to use it? Do you want simplicity of firing something up and having it at temp without any work (which is amazing btw) or do you want to play a little bit with fire management? Do you want something that will eventually need fixing (anything electric) or modifications? Etc etc.

I only ask these questions because I jumped fast into acquisition mode of things and, with more experience and hindsight, wish I would have taken time to figure out exactly what I wanted to do. So if you really want the 800 don't settle for the 560 just bc it's the only one in stock. Just my 2 cents.

The problem is I don’t know what I want. I do know whatever I get I’ll be using it often. BBQ, Chicken, burgers, chili whatever I can cook on it. I like the 800 because it’s bigger and has a griddle. Would I use the griddle? Yes, how often? Maybe not much. As for the size, it was pointed out in the last post the 560s plenty big. I know I’d never need 800sq inches. I’m a typical American in thinking “bigger’s better” but I don’t actually need bigger. And not sure I need the griddle.

and I think any regrets I had if I order a 560 would vanish as soon as I was eating some ribs and brisket from it. And the $200 I save I could save to buy a brisket from Snake River. Like 6 briskets down the line after I’ve figured things out. As I’m sure nobody on here would recommend your 1st cook to be a $175 Wagyu brisket lol.

I have the 1050 and I have purchased the basic LS mods for the 1050. I installed everything but the firebox insert which I will get to this spring/summer. I also found this mod to be super easy and it saves me a lot of money on fuel and wood. Masterbuilt 1050/560 Hopper Mod - Save $$$ - YouTube

do you try to run just enough fuel for your cook? I noticed a few people on a couple sites commenting on how even after they powered off and put the 2 bars back in to choke the fire it would still burn thru a good amount of charcoal. So they ‘d put just enough for that cook to prevent waste.

I like the 800 because it’s bigger and has a griddle. Would I use the griddle? Yes, how often? Maybe not much. As for the size, it was pointed out in the last post the 560s plenty big. I know I’d never need 800sq inches.
I'm fairly new to the BBQ scene as well although my introduction has been a little different. First I've never used a pellet grill and I probably never will. Some might call me too much of a purist, but I think pellet grills stray too far from traditional BBQ for my liking (not saying you won't get awesome food from it, I just tend to like the old school process better).

I started out last summer by inheriting a Brinkmann Cimarron which is an offset smoker and then when my grill quit on me this winter I decided to get a Gravity 800. The offset smoker helped me learn a lot of the BBQ basics that help me out alot with my Gravity. Don't sleep on learning these basics, they can be very helpful. I chose the 800 because I knew I WOULD need/want the extra space it offers as opposed to the 560. I knew I was going to be using it mostly as a grill, and for smaller smoking projects where I couldn't be tending to the Brinkmann as much as I normally do. The griddle was a bonus for me because I love griddle cooking, but my house has a pretty small kitchen so it can get pretty messy. Now I use the Gravity 800 anytime I need a griddle. I would say don't get the 800 just because it has a griddle, because it is not it's best feature, it is a bonus though.

I know you said you don't need the size of the 800 but I will say the added space comes in handy. I smoked 2 2-3lb chuck roasts this past weekend and I put the roasts on the top rack and ran a water/drip pan on the grill grates below and it was pretty full in there. I know you think you won't need the space but I will say these grill/smokers fill up pretty quick.

Reactions: 912smoker
Pretty sure a prediction could be made here.... :emoji_sunglasses:

ordered the 560, if that was your prediction. I know I sounded real wishy washy from saying “I’ll wait 6 weeks” to “I think I’ll just get the 560” in a matter of an hour.

did you predict I’d take the $200 I saved going with the 560 and spend it on wood chunks, a knive, butcher paper and some accessories? It’s odd how I bought a smoker much cheaper than the one I wanted, yet I ended up spending more lol.

I’m terrible at being patient, but at least I did order a charcoal smoker. So I should be happy with it. And if I end up crying over not waiting. I can drown my sorrow with a couple IPAs and some home made Burnt Ends.

and from my research apparently every person who’s into smoking owns like 17 different smokers. So I’ll probably end up getting the 800 down the road anywho.

thanks to everyone who gave me advice here. I know I was all over the place, but I just couldn’t hold out for even 6 hours. I’ll be back in 5 days to post pics.

pretty sure I’ll become a regular here, seems like a lot of awesome people so far. Much like the pizza forums I joined when I got my pizza often last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: chef jimmyj
Welcome from Wisconsin.

Where do you live? If you live in a cold climate, do you plan on doing much smoking during the winter?

JC :emoji_cat:

Welcome from Wisconsin.

Where do you live? If you live in a cold climate, do you plan on doing much smoking during the winter?

hello, I’m in So Cal, as far as SoCal goes it was pretty nippy tonight. I think 45. For you that’s probably shorts and flip flop weather lol. I plan to smoke year round. SoCal winters are wimpy. Now if I lived where you do I absolutely would not be smoking in the Winter.

Reactions: JC in GB
We continue on smoking all winter long here in the upper Midwest. A few adaptations, but we make it work. :emoji_wink:
Good luck with your new rig. . .

hello, I’m in So Cal, as far as SoCal goes it was pretty nippy tonight. I think 45. For you that’s probably shorts and flip flop weather lol. I plan to smoke year round. SoCal winters are wimpy. Now if I lived where you do I absolutely would not be smoking in the Winter.

I love smoking sausage in the winter. You just can't beat that casing snap when smoking in the winter.

Yes, 45 degrees is nearly short and flip flop weather here. :emoji_laughing:

I have done smokes down to -10 F. I need an insulated cabinet smoker for that kind of thing.

If you are looking for a pellet grill, the RecTech Bull is a great unit for the money.

I have a friend that has the Masterbuilt gravity fed grill. He loves it. I have seen it and it does seem to work quite well.

No mods for me, I trust the design engineers to have done the airflow math properly plus all my tinkering with my other smokers has not borne the anticipated improvements.
Why fix what ain't broke?

I also have the 1050 with no mods. Probably 40 cooks since I received it in Jan. Eeverything from 12 hr cooks to 700* reverse sear. Have a minor issue with the lid switch but have learned to manage it. Love this unit and glad I went with it. IMO, MB will probably offer a griddle option in the near future for the 560 and 1050. Alot of the complaints that I read were concerning damage during shipping and not the actual use/function of the unit. No regrets on my purchase at all.
Pull the trigger

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky