Walleye

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

culpepersmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 16, 2010
Split between Michigan and Texas
I have a couple Walleye filets to cook up tonight. I’m thinking I want to try this Weber garlic and jalapeño rub on them. I can’t decide whether to do them on the Weber grill or the griddle. I’m thinking of putting them skin side down on the griddle might be the ticket. I’ve done fish on the grill, both using foil and a grill basket but the skin generally just gets unappetizing.

Attachments

• 40CBE47D-DB12-4535-8841-1FA14F06FA37.jpeg
    40CBE47D-DB12-4535-8841-1FA14F06FA37.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 22
Your fish but I think that seasoning will blow away the delicate flavor of walleye. If you were to grill I’d get a grill pan with small holes as the walleye will likely break apart on a wider spaced normal grill grate.

Agree, Walleye is a wonderfully flavored fish but definitely delicate. Personally I'd pan fry them S&P in some butter or try this recipe:

Pan Fried Walleye

Serving Size: 4
Ingredients:

8 fillets Walleye fillets
2 each eggs
3/4 cups flour
1 cup Italian style bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
4 Tablespoons oil, for frying

Directions:

1. Lightly beat eggs in a dish. In another dish combine flour, bread crumbs and seasoning

2. Dip fish in egg and then in flour mixture. Shake off any excess flour.

3. Add a couple of tablespoons of oil to a pan and heat pan over medium heat. When pan is hot, add 3-4 fillets to pan. Cook 3 minutes per side so each side is nicely browned.

4. Remove fish from pan and place on a baking sheet lined with a baking rack. Place cooked fish in a 350 degree oven while you cook remaining fish.

5. Wipe out pan and add additional oil. Repeat process with remaining fish.

Reactions: bauchjw
Appreciate your thoughts and yes we do enjoy frying walleye but wanted something different. I put a light coating of the garlic jalapeño rub and cooked them on a hot griddle with some grape seed oil. Served them up with red beans and rice and a quick veg. Turn out to be great meal.

Attachments

• 617384B7-DEC4-4D4D-A5EB-B4C9F44F3985.jpeg
    617384B7-DEC4-4D4D-A5EB-B4C9F44F3985.jpeg
    145.5 KB · Views: 22
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky