Waiting is the hardest part........

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
At some point in time, there is no shame in finishing in an oven. A well known Old Guy Trick...JJ
biggrin.gif

Looks great, what temp were you cooking at? I cooked a almost perfect butt on the rotisserie in 5 hours it could of used a little more time but I was very impressed for the time savings. Next time I want one fast I'll tie it up so I'm not worried about it falling apart. Lots of people run there butts at 275-300 if not higher.

I cooked this between 225-240. Took over 24 hrs. I didnt wrap this one in foil during the cook. Not sure if that was part of the problem. I did wrap in foil and let it rest for about 45 min after it hit 195 deg. It literally fell apart once i started chopping it.

If you wrap in foil they normally get through the stall faster if there's even one at all. I prefer unwrapped personally,at least on pork, do you have a preference? I remember the first PP I did was on my Weber genesis and at 230 ish it took forever and my parents almost left before it finished hours after we planned to eat.:biggrin: what are you cooking on and where are you getting your cooking temps from stock therms can be off by 20+ degrees. I guess the real question is what are you smoking tomorrow?

Nice job!  I've had some 10 lb butts take more then 24 hrs!  They can be stubborn!  No shame in finishing them in the oven or wrapping them to get them up to temp.  I do know that they need to reach that 205ish IT to be pulled pork perfection!  Nice smoke!  "Points"

Mike

Nice smoke!

Way to hang in there!

Lately I have been smoking my butts at 280+.

They take about 1 hour per pound, & are just as tender & juicy!

Al

Nice smoke!

Way to hang in there!

Lately I have been smoking my butts at 280+.

They take about 1 hour per pound, & are just as tender & juicy!

Al
Want to wait less and eat sooner, then follow SmokinAl's advice- cook at a higher temp. I've been cooking butts at 300°+ for several years, works like a charm with great results
icon14.gif

B-one
I am using a Mastebuilt electric smoker and using a Maverick thermometer so i can monitor the smoker temp and the IT. Nothing being smoked for a bit after that epic cook! Luckily we were not planning on a big party yesterdsy. When i do cook for a party i have learned the hard way as well. I give myself plenty of time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky