wagyu Beef Cheek--low grade

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Millberry

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 12, 2020
Buford, GA
Well- cooked my first beef cheek.Used Jess's Hard Core black "stuff". Smoked with post oak at 275 degrees--It fell apart on the smoker grill.,... little pieces everywhere. I pulled at 155 degrees hoping to "save it". Smaller pieces were reading 160 degrees. Put in foil pan with warmed beef broth, balsamic vinegar, red wine, smashed garlic and rosemary. Brushed melted butter on top and a sprinkle of brown sugar. Covered foil pan and cooked until "butta" probe test was excellent --208.5 degrees. Everyone loved it but me. I did not get a "taste" of post oak or anything in the "braise"...just BLAND meat, Needed salt (says John Wayne) I got a super tender piece of beef cheek with that GOOEY crap running thru it. Sorry--just me bitching and reporting.. As usual --no pictures (so don't fuss at me Jake). NEVER AGAIN, Charlie

Wow. Cheeks are usually excellent. Sorry to hear of your disappointment. Treat yourself to something you enjoy...JJ

I been wanting to try cheeks. I just did a search and our Sam's shows to have them for $2.68 lb. Never seen them in there before. Where would they be?

1614293231840.png

I thought they kept the cheeks by the butts! It does happen to us all Charlie... I would follow chilerelleno chilerelleno advice and see how they turn out.

Ryan

I’d like to get my hands on Wagyu cheek! Sorry it didn’t work out. Not sure why they’d fall apart at that low temp.

Reactions: Millberry
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky