Vortex whole chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Good looking chicken. I'm with you on the carving skills (although yours are better than mine). My carving looks like it was done with a chainsaw!
Jim
Appreciate it Jim, but parts of my chicken looked like they went thru a food processor. I just didn't show those pics.
Awesome job and a fine-looking bird.
Carving skills have nothing to do with the eating skills.

Warren
Totally agree Warren. It's all in the taste.

Chris

Reactions: JLeonard
I’m late to the party…. Really cool use of the vortex on the chicken, I just used mine on a whole chicken too, but halved it and cooked like I do wings, skin came out nice, but I got distracted and over cooked the breast. Good call on pulling yours early! Mine was salvageable, thigh and legs were good, but breast was disappointing! I’m trying your method next time!

Reactions: gmc2003
I’m late to the party…. Really cool use of the vortex on the chicken, I just used mine on a whole chicken too, but halved it and cooked like I do wings, skin came out nice, but I got distracted and over cooked the breast. Good call on pulling yours early! Mine was salvageable, thigh and legs were good, but breast was disappointing! I’m trying your method next time!

Thanks Jed, if you do try it this way just make sure you have a good pair of insulated gloves to get the chicken out.

Chris

Well, it was very windy here in the Northeast today, but at least it was sunny and pleasantly warm. The wife was babysitting our grandson, so I decided to fire up the kettle and make some chow. I hadn't done a whole chicken in quite some time, and the local grocer had some that looked pretty appealing. After outlaying about $8.00 for a 6.25/lb bird. I was off to the races.

Here she is all seasoned up and resting like Al Bundy at the beach:
View attachment 632357

I just had to make a trip to the beer pole for some refreshments:
View attachment 632358

After a short spell. I gave the bird a looksie: Starting to take form.
View attachment 632359

...and she's done.

View attachment 632360

Sliced up for din-din. My carving skills on a whole bird need some improving, but it was juicy, moist and tasty non-the-less.
View attachment 632361

All in all, it was a good cook. The skin wasn't crispy, but I didn't want to dry out the meat. On this bird there was no additional brining or injections. Just straight from the packaging to the kettle.

Thanks for looking.

Chris
Chris, I went ahead and bought the vortex and let me tell you....it has changed my whole game on the WEBER. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your post here and the info provided. I knew Of the vortex but not the hows and whys of it. I am sold. Game changer for sure and i will definently use it this weekend for several smokes. Thanks again.

HT

Reactions: gmc2003
Chris, I went ahead and bought the vortex and let me tell you....it has changed my whole game on the WEBER. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your post here and the info provided. I knew Of the vortex but not the hows and whys of it. I am sold. Game changer for sure and i will definently use it this weekend for several smokes. Thanks again.

HT
HT you're gonna love the Vortex. Chicken, Steaks, and so much more. Thanks for the compliment also.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky