Vortex Thighs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
I wasn't originally going to post this cook as there was nothing exceptional about it and I didn't take many pics. Having done wings and legs on the Weber using the vortex yesterday it was time to do some thighs. I've been doing the wings and legs a total of about 35 minutes so I figured thighs would take a additional 10-15. I had eight thighs and sprinkled them with a lemon-garlic rub then placed them around the red hot Vortex on the grill of my Weber. No pics of that, we know the setup. I did the lid rotation every 15 minutes three times, then took four of the thighs and gave them a toss in SBR and back on the grill for another five minutes. It was 109º out when I was doing this cook and the Q was right in direct sunlight. The thighs came out with a super crispy skin but still juicy on the inside, nice smoke flavor from the hunk of hickory over the Vortex. With hindsight I'm thinking next time trying to go 5-7 minutes less on the total time, maybe 43 minutes total time. I'm finding that as I'm learning the ins and outs of the Vortex there's also the outside temperature to make allowances for, part of the learning curve. The leftover thighs will get turned into flautas or enchiladas later today, next up beef ribs using the SnS, the Weber's doing it all! RAY
DSCN1853.JPG

Those look awesome Ray! I could go for a couple right about now!

When we start having a chicken shortage I am going to send them to your place and tell them Ray is Vortexing up all the chicken haha!

Reactions: sawhorseray
Those look awesome Ray! I could go for a couple right about now! When we start having a chicken shortage I am going to send them to your place and tell them Ray is Vortexing up all the chicken haha!

Thanks John, as I'm learning with the new Weber toys I'm re-stocking the stand-up freezer as I go, ain't getting caught short again. Thank you for the Like, I appreciate it. RAY

Great looking plate of chicken Ray

Thanks Tander, and thanks for the Like, I appreciate it. RAY

Looking good.

Thanks Stuart, after using a Weber for 45 years I find I'm having to pay attention again, kind of fun. Thank you for the Like, I appreciate it. RAY

Love the color on them.

Thanks PC. I was kind of surprised at the color with no paprika in the rub, all just hickory and heat. My original thought was to cook them for an hour, glad I didn't. Thanks for the Like PC, much appreciated. RAY

Thanks Stuart, after using a Weber for 45 years I find I'm having to pay attention again, kind of fun. Thank you for the Like, I appreciate it. RAY

Ray,
You're very welcome.
After seeing your pics, I had to go looking in the deep freezer for some thighs.
No joy.
Looks like a trip to the store is warranted.

Stuart

That's one damned fine looking plate of shicken Ray!! You and that Vortex are getting along really well it appears. There's apparently no shortage of things you can do on it.

Just read a post a little while ago about a guy doing ribs with his SnS and thought of you. He did pork, but it's still a rib, just of a different species. Can't wait to see what you are able to pull off with the beef ribs though. I'm thinking I may fire up the stick burner tomorrow and do a rack of Dino ribs, but it remains to be seen.

LIKE those thighs!!
Robert

More great looking chicken! Nice job. So I wonder if your neighbors think you're nuts for having your kettle going everyday in the heat or if you're driving them nuts from the wonderful aroma coming from your yard!

Ryan

Looks good Ray! Color is great too, especially with no paprika added to the rub. Nice! Mike

It was a rub that Walmart put in my wifes pick up order for free tp try put. I never buy rubs, so free is OK with me. Thanks for the Like Mike, I appreciate it. RAY

That's one damned fine looking plate of shicken Ray!! You and that Vortex are getting along really well it appears. There's apparently no shortage of things you can do on it. Just read a post a little while ago about a guy doing ribs with his SnS and thought of you. He did pork, but it's still a rib, just of a different species. Can't wait to see what you are able to pull off with the beef ribs though. I'm thinking I may fire up the stick burner tomorrow and do a rack of Dino ribs, but it remains to be seen. LIKE those thighs!! Robert

Thanks Robert, I'm actually having a little fun learning new tricks with a old toy. I've done spares using the SnS and they came out great, but that's when it was 78º outside. Today it'll be 112º and dammed hot the rest of the week, I don't think I can get the temp low enough with the SnS to get the job and keep the fire alive, and I'm not sure if I feel like firing up my offset in this heat either. I've got my Pro 100 out on the patio as it's new home and bags of hickory and apple chips. Always nice to have a plan C just in case A and B don't seem all that appealing. Thanks for the Like amigo, mucho appreciendo. RAY

More great looking chicken! Nice job. So I wonder if your neighbors think you're nuts for having your kettle going everyday in the heat or if you're driving them nuts from the wonderful aroma coming from your yard! Ryan

Well Ryan shortly after lockdown I was smoking a butt on my SQ36 and when it was done I put a little pie plate of some pulled pork on top of the concrete block wall for them to sample. They now regard me as some kind of BBQing diety, I think they're hot dog and burger folks at best in the backyard. Thank you for the Like Ryan, I do appreciate it. RAY

Another great Vortex cook. Really a great one!

Thanks JCAP, the Vortex has worked out to be a worthy investment after my initial skepticism, I feel I'm just scratching the surface now. Thanks for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY

kruizer kruizer & fivetricks fivetricks , thank you both for the Likes, they are much appreciated. 11:30 in the morning here and 100º straight up, gonna be a burner! RAY

Looks good . I found thighs at the store today . 18 bucks for a tray of 10 . Won't do it , but one of my favorites for sure , and those look great .

Might be time to try the snake method on those ribs .

Looks good . I found thighs at the store today . 18 bucks for a tray of 10 . Won't do it , but one of my favorites for sure , and those look great .
Might be time to try the snake method on those ribs .

That stinks Rich, I wouldn't do it either, to hell with that! I'm still paying about a buck a pound for thighs at Sam's, wings are about twice that, nothing has actually gone up much at all. Maybe they figure if we can survive in this heat we don't deserve to go broke trying to feed ourselves. I tried the snake on a rack of spares before I got the SnS, worked great Rich. RAY

they sure do look Ray, great color

Thanks Jim, it's looking like the leftovers will be getting micro-zapped into some kind of burrito material, too dammed hot to do anything else. Thanks for the Like Jim, much appreciated. RAY

Cool. Just ordered a vortex yesterday to cook chicken after work In a hurry. Thanks for posting. Why the lid rotation? And do you keep the bottom vent open or partial closed?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky