Vortex Thighs (Thanks to brokenhandle)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JckDanls 07

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 10, 2011
Tampa area, Florida.
Brokenhandle Brokenhandle posted his take on Vortex Thighs yesterday... It was good timing as my wife said that I was doing thighs on the grill today... So I was wondering how they would turn out using the vortex... Well Ryan answered that question for me with his post... SO ...

Here's my take on doing them...

First I line the kettle with foil around the vortex... Last time I did wings the grease in the bottom of the kettle was nasty... I did some pork chops and a foil pack of potatoes and veggies a few days after doing the wings... All that grease in the bottom caught on fire when I put the hot coals in... So I lined it with foil to catch all that grease from the thighs...

IMG_20240523_173309.jpg

I used Jeff's original rub (more on that later)... Brined them with the 1-1-1 solution for 10 hours...

IMG_20240523_173236.jpg

Put them on upside down for the first 30 minutes... Turning the lid a 1/4 of a turn every 15 minutes...

IMG_20240523_174257.jpg

At the 30 minute mark I flipped them over...

IMG_20240523_181627.jpg

Checked temp at 45 minutes (or so) and they were 200+ .... Sauced 5 of them and left 3 nekkid ... Put sauced ones back on to set sauce...

IMG_20240523_184557.jpg

Grease left in the foil that would of ended up in the bottom of the kettle... You can bet I will be doing this from now on as well... No matter what I cook with the vortex...

IMG_20240523_191319.jpg

Final results... You can bet I will be doing them this way again (from now on)... I'm not a big thigh man but I have to say this were pretty damn good...

BUT ...

I won't use Jeff's rub again on anything I cook with the vortex... All the brown suger in it burns pretty bad from the high heat... I kinda had that feeling it was gonna happen when I was putting the rub on them... I should have just went with SPOG ...

Thanks for taking the time to read this y'all...

I'd say perfect . I like the skin like that with some sauce . 200 is a great temp for thighs in my opinion .
Nice cook .

Glad it worked out for you! Looks really good! Wife got home from work this morning and could finally have some for leftovers, even after being nuked were still juicy.

Ryan

Reactions: JLeonard
Yes sir those look great and smart thinking with the lining!
I also prefer thighs in the 190-200 range!

Keith

I've been doing the same with the foil. Works great. Easy clean up the next day (or so lol). The 18" wide foil rolls works perfectly. I swear I think the vortex get going faster and burns hotter with the foil around the sides. It get HOT!
I've used a weber kettle for over 30 years now and the vortex turns out the best chicken wings, legs quarters, and thighs I've ever cooked.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Nice tip on the foil. I haven't ponied up for a vortex yet.
Need to do that to make your quality chicken parts.

I won't use Jeff's rub again on anything I cook with the vortex... All the brown suger in it burns pretty bad from the high heat... I kinda had that feeling it was gonna happen when I was putting the rub on them... I should have just went with SPOG ...

Jeff's rub is pretty good without the sugar. Try it that way and add the sugar later when you sauce them

Those look awesome bud! Been a while since I have done them. Maybe today is the day. I should use foil. I recently cleaned it and there was so much build up that it bent the wings up when they where turned. Tried bending back into shape but not quite there now.

We do thighs all the time and yours look fantastic. I’ve never done them with the vortex though so I guess I’m gonna have to try that now. I think the kettle is gonna get used more than the recteq.
Nice job Keith!
Al

Man Ryan Shelly is a keeper! Works all day/night then comes home and mows! :emoji_laughing: And she tolerates your shenanigans!

Jim
She's an angel! Not only that she helps sort and load pigs and will run the combine if she's not working. And is the best looking help I have... and makes really good gravy! Lol

Ryan

SmokinAl SmokinAl ... Certainly give the thighs a try.. That's the only way you will do them from now on afterwards...
I will caution you to foil around the outside of the vortex to catch drippings (anytime you use it)... As was stated I think it makes it hotter AND makes clean up so much easier... No mess in the bottom of the kettle...

Great thighs!

Jim

Thank you much sir

Yes sir those look great and smart thinking with the lining!
I also prefer thighs in the 190-200 range!

Keith

Yes sir... I think they were JUST STARTING to get a little dry... even after brining ..

I've been doing the same with the foil. Works great. Easy clean up the next day (or so lol). The 18" wide foil rolls works perfectly. I swear I think the vortex get going faster and burns hotter with the foil around the sides. It get HOT!
I've used a weber kettle for over 30 years now and the vortex turns out the best chicken wings, legs quarters, and thighs I've ever cooked.

It did seem like it might have been a little hotter...

Nice tip on the foil. I haven't ponied up for a vortex yet.
Need to do that to make your quality chicken parts.

Jeff's rub is pretty good without the sugar. Try it that way and add the sugar later when you sauce them

Don't wait... order the vortex today... Actually I have seen then in Wally World too ...
Will remember that about the sugar next time..
Those look awesome bud! Been a while since I have done them. Maybe today is the day. I should use foil. I recently cleaned it and there was so much build up that it bent the wings up when they where turned. Tried bending back into shape but not quite there now.

Yes... Today is the day... Or maybe tomorrow so it gives you time to brine them...

Thanks everybody for the comments...

Nice Keith! I'm like you - thighs are not usually my favorite...I usually do wings or breasts, but those look terrific! Another thread that reminds me I need to get my vortex out!

Red

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky