Vintage Hobart Slicer Restoration

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wow.  This is some restoration project.   It's like an episode of "Overhaulin" or "Pimp my Ride".  That Hobart will look better than it ever did when you are done.

Wow.  This is some restoration project.   It's like an episode of "Overhaulin" or "Pimp my Ride".  That Hobart will look better than it ever did when you are done.
I love that Overhaulin show! This big lump of manly man tears up every time! Or how about American Restoration or the new one, Counting Cars! That truck that Danny drives is so cool! I can't die before I get a chance to restore something like that. That and an old Knucklehead. Then I can die. Well, after I drive/ride them a bunch. I mean, you got to put your face between them and go BBBBBBBBBBBBbbbbbbbbbbbbsttp!!! Thanks Guys. I really appreciate the comments.

It's been stalled. Life has been happening here by the barrel full. All my energy has been going towards retaining my sanity. I hope to get back on it soon. Thanks for asking.

WOW!! You sure have the skill.You take the " If it is worth doing, it is worth doing right " to the tenth power. It looks AMAZING.

This is amazing I was just looking for stuff to restore my 411 and saw this! EXACTLY what I was planning to do. I hope mine comes out even 1/2 as good as yours is.

Absolutely Great Post.

I haven't had any time to work on this for quite a while now. On those rare occasions that I do try to make a little progress, I've been trying to resolve a couple flaws in the paint job. I think I'm to the point where I've tried to "fix" it enough that it just needs to be completely stripped down so I can start over. I will not use this same paint or primer again. It's been very frustrating to say the least.

I haven't had any time to work on this for quite a while now. On those rare occasions that I do try to make a little progress, I've been trying to resolve a couple flaws in the paint job. I think I'm to the point where I've tried to "fix" it enough that it just needs to be completely stripped down so I can start over. I will not use this same paint or primer again. It's been very frustrating to say the least.
Powder coat?

BH, evening....  Did you use that "green" aluminum primer ???   some type of phosphate primer if I remember correctly.... 

I used this primer. It's white, and did really make the paint seem bright.

And this paint. It says fast drying but days later it wasn't hard enough to handle.

Every time I looked at it I found a new problem. I also used a clear coat of this product.

Weeks later I noticed that were I had cleared over the polished logo, the clear coat looked shattered.

I rattle canned this thing because of it's size. Maybe that was a mistake.

When I redo it I'll buy paint for my paint gun. Sorry for leaving this project hanging for so long. I'll get back to it. 

Bubbonehead, hang in there with it!

You've been showing us a thing or three and I think your work is outstanding.  I understand it is terribly frustrating, and you want perfection.

I assume that we all just want to drool over how beautiful it looks when your hard work pays off, and look forward to that.

Like DaveOmak said, I don't know if powder coating it would be a good idea or worth it, but it would sure be pretty.

Good luck with it.

BH, morning.... I was close.... Zinc chromate primer.....   The problem with aluminum... It oxidizes instantly... and I mean within milliseconds...  You can't see it but it is there....  That is why it stays shiny... the micro thin layer of aluminum oxide will protect the metal from further oxidation and leave a nice surface to look at....  but that is about it.... paint won't stick .....   I have no idea about powder coating it.... Unless you could powder coat zinc chromate first and then a second paint layer, I would not spend the money.....

I have painted outboard motors and parts of my aluminum boat using a similar primer and a top coat of Rust Oleum and it is still in service 10 years later..... No chips or flaking....   Of course, my boat is in the yard and not on the kitchen counter.... 

Check out the temps powder coating requires... You can easily remove the work hardening from the metal turning it into a useless piece of crap....  On second thought, I would not powder coat the slicer... Too much could go wrong....   The metallurgy of aluminum is strange... unlike other metals in a lot of respects....   

Painting and gluing aluminum is especially important in the aircraft industry, which uses toxic zinc chromate primers  and chromating  to add the necessary adhesion properties.

http://www.moellermarine.com/aftermarket/marine_paints/primers/

Zinc-Chromate-72dpi.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks DaveO!

I honestly did not know that. Very good information.

I guess that means I can not clear coat over the polished logo at all. Knowing that will save me future frustration. I really appreciate the info.

You are welcome....  Nothing will stop it from oxidizing....  We had mounted samples we polished to run under the electron microscope to analyze grain structure and size... In a few days, under pristine storage conditions, they were worthless from the oxide coating.... S**t happens... 

To the naked eye, a polished surface should last a couple years without much degradation...  Caustic solutions like ammonia and electric dishwasher soap really attack aluminum fast and bad.... 

I just found this thread. My mother has a mod# 411 she wants to sell. It is all there including the complete sharpener assy. Message me if interested. It is in Athens, GA.

Last edited:
Sorry ya'll... My mother just gave it to me today. It runs great, but is a greasey mess in all the manual moving parts, like Cosmoline on a battle rifle that has been in storage for +60yrs.

i have a complete working slicer if your interested PM me, i was asking 350.00 gregg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a used Hobart meat slicer 411.  It works and i was going to list it. if you're interested in it for missing parts send me a email. I'm not sure what shipping would be but I live in Texas.

Hi thee i recently got a hobart 410 also but dont have a sharpener now i saw u rigged up one so you could sharpen your blade could you go in more detail so that i might be able to reproduce it thanks or were to buy one also awesome job on the restoration.
thanks -nico

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky