Vienna Frankfurters - Emulsified Sausage Tutorial - 12 Pics QView

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm a pretty firm believer in keeping all metal parts cold, and will continue to take the risk of a small amount of expansion, but there is certainly merit to what you say.  If I didn't have the available room in my freezer, I'd use the rice method.  Dry parts are good parts.  :)

Nice  Franks

Keeping your grinder plates and blades in a container of rice will keep moisture off and from rusting.

Keeping your parts in a freezer makes them shrink and when in use they expand thus causing pressure on the blade against the plate and the auger against the winding in the tube.

Ok to my corner now.

Thanks, Dan!! :)  How old *IS* this blender, anyway?  I know mine is a hand-me-down...
Great looking franks Princess, and great tutorial.

FWIW I got the same blender and it's a bear to do emulsified meat.

Glad to see you posting again

Awww.. thanks, Barbe!! :)  It does feel good to be back.

Welcome back, Princess!!  Your tutorials are always thorough and amazing!  These look so good, but all your posts do!
beercheer.gif

I don't store mine in the freezer, but I store them pretty carefully.  I give them a shot in the freezer before using them, though.  One exception is probably about what nepas mentioned.  I have found that the big locking nut on my grinder does not fit when frozen, so I just leave it out of the freezer.  This is possibly unique to my unit, however.

Good luck and good smoking.

This thread is sure getting a lot of travel and wandering.  LOL

I try to reply to most comments, so yeah... things get a little wandery...  Haha!

::nods::  I had the sticking at first when my Northern was still new. I found a really great food-safe grease that I've been using on both my nut and the stuffer throat (as well as tons of other stuff), since then I haven't had an issue.  I also have WAY more freezer than the Castle really needs. :) I have all kinds of crazy @#$% in there... LOL  If my husband ever goes missing, you'll know where to go first!

What kind of grinder do run, Venture?

I don't store mine in the freezer, but I store them pretty carefully.  I give them a shot in the freezer before using them, though.  One exception is probably about what nepas mentioned.  I have found that the big locking nut on my grinder does not fit when frozen, so I just leave it out of the freezer.  This is possibly unique to my unit, however.

This thread is sure getting a lot of travel and wandering.  LOL

Welcome back princess..............What..... no open shot? we gotta see what that awesome sausage looks like inside.... 
hissyfit.gif
drool.gif

102.gif

Joe

It sure didn't take you long to get back to top form!

This is an Awesome thread !!!

Your posts remind me of Eric's "Forluvofsmoke" posts. They are unbelievably informative, and formatted in the same way.

Two of my Heroes in the outstanding tutorial field!!!!!

Thanks Pincess!

Bear

Last edited:
I know... I was hoping no one would notice?  :)  That tray got inside the house and WHAM they were gone.  I'll have to be faster next time!

Thanks for peeking, boykjo!!

Welcome back princess..............What..... no open shot? we gotta see what that awesome sausage looks like inside.... 
hissyfit.gif
drool.gif

102.gif

Joe

That's a hell of a compliment, Bear!! Thank you!  "forluvofsmoke" really knows his stuff!!

Now that I have a foodsaver vaccum sealer? Oh watch OUT baby!! More food (and thus posts) than I can handle!
It sure didn't take you long to get back to top form!

This is an Awesome thread !!!

Your posts remind me of Eric's "Forluvofsmoke" posts. They are unbelievably informative, and formatted in the same way.

Two of my Heroes in the outstanding tutorial field!!!!!

Thanks Pincess!

Bear

Nice pictorial, Princess! And great looking franks!

When I was looking at picking up about 3-5 lbs of veal for an emulsified sausage, I saw the prices of the veal cuts (chops, etc)...$$$

I talked to the butcher behind the counter, he told me to hold on a sec, went into the back and brought out about 4lbs of veal 'trimmings—all good quality but not nice enough for display. He uses it for making sausage there. Bought it for less than half the cost of the veal in the display counter. All emulsified in a sausage, who'd notice any difference?

It pays to get to know the local butcher!  
biggrin.gif

Kevin

Thanks, Couger!!

Yeah, it was my own darn fault. I have a great relationship with the local butcher and am fortunate enough to have a slaughterhouse fairly close by. I was going last-minute and I paid the price for it!!  I get ALL kinds of great stuff from the slaughterhouse for free/near free because they can't sell it. MMM... tasty bits!

My Busha always said, "If you must take an animal's life to eat it as food, the least you can do, out of repect for the animal, is to use as much as you can!"

Cheers!

-Princess
Nice pictorial, Princess! And great looking franks!

When I was looking at picking up about 3-5 lbs of veal for an emulsified sausage, I saw the prices of the veal cuts (chops, etc)...$$$

I talked to the butcher behind the counter, he told me to hold on a sec, went into the back and brought out about 4lbs of veal 'trimmings—all good quality but not nice enough for display. He uses it for making sausage there. Bought it for less than half the cost of the veal in the display counter. All emulsified in a sausage, who'd notice any difference?

It pays to get to know the local butcher!  
biggrin.gif

Kevin

Great tutorial Princess. Now I know how to emulsify meat.

I have tried to regrind and regrind with no luck. You have just taught this old dog a new trick.

Very much appreciated.

Dave 

I definitely see some smoked vienna vieners in my future!

Only change I need to make is to replace the wheat flour with a gluten-free alternative.

Since its a binder, I suppose white rice flour, sorghum flour or potato flour would work well in its place.

I know you asked me a question about my cheapo grinder.  Having learned your husband is missing, I aint talkin to you no mo!

Thanks for peeking, Al!! :) 

All I can say is WOW! That was a great tutorial Princess!!   THANK-YOU!!

Oooh!!! The Chili Rating! Ha!! Thank you, Beer-B!! :)

Great looking sausage and tutorial Princess...  http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h151/pkcdirect/emoticons/?action=view&current=5-pepper-rating.gif

I really look forward to your posts...

To you I award my 5 pepper rating... LOL

It really was. My Darling Husband and our friends DESTROYED it!

It looks good and yummy

Thanks, Dave! I would just say to use as much ice-cold water as you need, depending on the fat content, and take it slow. :) It was cool!

Great tutorial Princess. Now I know how to emulsify meat.

I have tried to regrind and regrind with no luck. You have just taught this old dog a new trick.

Very much appreciated.

Dave 
Hey Couger!

I have used mashed potatos (and potato flakes) as binder in sausages. I have also used eggs. I have never used wither of those in long-smoked or cured sausage, and would love to give it a try.

I've used rice flour for bread, and sourgum beer for Cheddar Beer Soup.... I have a gluten-sensitive friend and enjoy helping her out! :)
I definitely see some smoked vienna vieners in my future!

Only change I need to make is to replace the wheat flour with a gluten-free alternative.

Since its a binder, I suppose white rice flour, sorghum flour or potato flour would work well in its place.

Ha-ha!! Darling Husband is fine (for NOW!!)  :)
I know you asked me a question about my cheapo grinder.  Having learned your husband is missing, I aint talkin to you no mo!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky