Very new to smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtydog207

Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
Yarmouth, Maine
My name is Chris, I live in Maine, I am 28. I am very very new to smoking. I only got the idea to make a smoker yesterday but I am already reading and learning a lot. My plan is to use a 55 gallon drum to make a smoker with. I am in the process of locating a drum now. I have enjoyed smoked meats many time but look forward to making my own cause I know I will all the time. I am a master griller according to my friends and family so this is the next step in being the best outdoor chef I can be.

I plan to use charcoal and wood chucks to smoke with. I stumbled across this site while surfing the web and writing recipes for rubs and whatnot. Look forward to interacting with you all.

I am already a member of a wine making forum which I check daily, so this should be easy to get into...

See you around

Chris

welcome to SMF.. lots of great people here and lots to learn.. search the wiki's and use the search bar you will be surprised on the info there.. Happy smoking
241.png

Welcome to SMF!! Lot's of folks here from all over with a variety of talents and methods. Hope ya learn as much or more than I have. For sure don't be shy with the questions, these folks are great with good info. 
welcome1.gif

Welcome aboard Chris, Lot's of folks here with smokers made out of 55 gal drums, (UDS, ugly drum smokers). Good luck with your build. Let us know how it turns out.

Thank everybody.. So far I don't have any questions really.. I am currently unemployed, so after I did my morning job hunting, the past three days I have been ready stuff online. I have written down everything I think I need to know, including several recipes for rum and sauces..

I used to work at my uncle's hardware store, so I am feeling pretty good about the plans in head for the smoker.. I won't know 100% yet but my basic idea is to have four 3/4 vents on the bottom. A slightly raised charcoal basket. First level will be to hold a water pan, second and possibly third will be for the big hunks of meat..

I will post pictures once its done.. Hoping to be within a few weeks once my tax return comes in..

Last edited:
Welcome!

Tons of info here on drum smoker builds.

Put UDS in the search tool and have fun,  (Ugly Drum Smoker)

Craig

If you can't track down a good drum (mostly plastic now days) look at an ECB (el cheapo brinkman).  They are pretty inexpensive and a common first step for most of us.

Al

Welcome to the forum. Nice to see another fellow New Englander come aboard. I just came back to the forum after an absence due to depression from not being able to smoke due to the bad weather and cold. Good luck on the UDS. That is something I have always wanted to do and may at some point in the future, if I can convince my wife to let me add on to my ever increasing collection of smokers that is.

My first one will not be lined but I am thinking about making one lined with bricks so I can smoke year round.. Im thinking within a month we will be able to smoke again without any problems but Im gonna start early...

A UDS cooks well in the cold from what I've seen on here. I know it works well in the summer here in AZ, all I have to do is light a scented candle in mine and put it out in the sun! Good luck on your build, take your time and post up some pics.. Welcome Aboard

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky