Vertical Reverse Flow to fit existing cabinet

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

goober07

Original poster
Aug 23, 2018
Hello!

I've read many great threads here about vertical reverse flow builds. A common theme is that flow from the firebox travels up both sides of the cook chamber, enters near the top, and exits a central exhaust near the bottom rear.

I rescued an equipment cabinet destined for the scrap bin that measures roughly 15"D x 30"W x 53"H with the intent of making an insulated smoker. The width vs. depth is quite different than other builds. Any issues with making the upper left side feed the CC and exhaust on the lower right?

I'm adding 1" insulation to the interior, followed by 16GA steel. I'd rather not sacrifice any depth for the exhaust. Without hitting the calculator, I'm envisioning something like a 14x26x40 cook chamber.

Thanks!
-Ryan

Planning on making each false wall (firebox to cook chamber, left; cook chamber exhaust, right) 1" x 13.75" x 34"

The reverse flow tutorial here indicates my firebox to CC opening should be 4.4" wide (60 in^2), and the exhaust should be 24"L. As I understand it, that's assuming a horizontal, non-insulated reverse flow. I haven't seen any formulas for insulated cabinets.

I do observe a 4:1 ratio between FB to CC area and FB Intake Area. I'm very close to that (13.75 in^2 vs. (2) 2" ball valves, 3.8 in^2 total). I'll update this thread as the build progresses.

Interesting build. What is going to be your heat source for fuel? Are you going to beef up the firebox end? Watching!

Weedeater

Planning on making each false wall (firebox to cook chamber, left; cook chamber exhaust, right) 1" x 13.75" x 34" ...

....2" x 13.75" x 34".... would be my choice ... Dave

Interesting build. What is going to be your heat source for fuel? Are you going to beef up the firebox end? Watching!

Weedeater

Charcoal briquettes with wood chunks are the plan... I plan to experiment with the charcoal basket, serpentine with firebrick splits (1.25x4.5x9"). My hopes for this smoker are to maintain the cook time I get on my UDS, without having to remove grates full food to get to the lower levels, and more capacity. Bonus points if I can get a smaller, hotter fire compared to the top-down smoldering in the UDS basket.

I'd considered lining the firebox with the same firebrick splits, but I think it's going to be easier to just extend the 1" insulation from McMaster & 16GA steel. With the right basket, I hope it doesn't rust out. I'm not worried at all about the aluminum, since I won't have coals contacting it in either design.

Planning on making each false wall (firebox to cook chamber, left; cook chamber exhaust, right) 1" x 13.75" x 34" ...

....2" x 13.75" x 34".... would be my choice ... Dave
Thanks for chiming in, Dave!
My grates were going to end up 14.5x25.5, leaving some room around a 12x20 pan. Haven't measured the disposable foil ones. Bumping each wall up would make them 14.5x23.5. Better use of material now that I think about it...

Might need to pick up some more tube to make it happen though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky