New member here... insulated reverse flow cabinet smoker build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brett Juneau

Original poster
Jan 17, 2018
Hello Everyone, new member here from Louisiana. I wanted to join the forum to share a build I have been working on for a few months now. I have observed several other builds on this site (and others) which gave me both inspiration and ideas for my own build.

About the builds...
I am building two identical reverse-flow insulated cabinet smokers for myself and a friend. Overall dimensions are 40"H x 22"W x 22"D. The frame is built from 2"x2"x1/8" square tubing. The water pan & firebox is made from 3/16" plate, inner walls of cooking chamber (reverse flow baffles) made from 16 ga., middle walls of cooking chamber is from 1/8" plate, and the entire outer shell is from 16 ga. The doors are framed by 1" square tubing and wrapped in 1/8" plate. The smoker and doors are fully insulated with fiberfrax ceramic insulation. Insulation is 2" thick on top, bottom, and back, 1" thick on sides and doors.
The cooking grates are built with 1" angle and 3/4" #9 flat expanded metal, cooking area is 17"x17" on each grate. The charcoal basket is made from the same materials, dimensions are 15"x15"x5" deep. There is a 1" deep ash pan welded to the bottom of the basket (3" below). The air intake will be on the front of the firebox door, and will have three 2" holes, with a sliding piece of aluminum plate in front to serve as the damper. Exhaust is routed from the rear bottom of the cooking chamber out the top, through a 2"x4" channel. The water pan will drain through a 3/4" pipe routed to the bottom of the smoker. This drain will be plugged at the top and capped at the bottom. Doors will be sealed by a 3/8" silica/ceramic rope seal made by equalseal.

I know I am leaving some details out, but if you have questions or comments please add them. I will attempt to add pictures, but I tend to struggle in the IT field. This is my first time building anything like this, so constructive criticism is welcomed.

Guys, I am having trouble inserting pictures using the "upload a file" button. Do I have to use a site like photobucket or image shack to get pictures into the post?

Looks really good, and allot of work. Keep us posted on your progress.

Chris

Thanks for the comments. I am a bit nervous to see how it manages temperatures.

The door seals should come in Monday so I will have the doors welded on soon. Haven’t quite decided if I should weld the hinges to allow the doors to be removed or weld them fixed. I’m leaning towards removable but any thoughts on this?

Very nice work!! Looks really similar to my build. I think you'll find that once you get it up to temp...it will hold it for a very long time. I can smoke at any temp I want, no matter how cold it is outside and it is very stable. I have done long smokes in below freezing temps with strong wind and didn't have a problem holding a stable temp. I usually have the vents open all the way, then when It gets to 160ish, I close it down half, then at 180ish half again. Once it breaks 200 I play with it until it settles around 225. I can get it to ride there without adding extra charcoal for about 6-7 hours usually.

Thanks gnatboy. I’m not a welder by any means but I did take my time with the layout and fabrication. Although I did put in lots of time and effort I give most of the credit to others who have done similar builds to this.

The seals have not came in yet but hopefully they will be here in time for me to crank it up this weekend for a trial run. There will be a learning curve for sure.

I finally got around to finishing things up. Got it cranked up yesterday and I'm pleased with the way it performed. It took a LONG time to achieve 225, a few hours, so I think I will need to get a weed burner to help out. Other than that, she cruises right along with almost no input from me. I will be putting some meat on next weekend so Im pretty excited about that. Ive been reading a lot about different methods to use with these cabinet style reverse flow smokers and opinions seem to be all over the place with regards to water vs sand, brick, etc. The wet to dry method sounds interesting also. My water pan in built in with a drain in the back and holds 5.6 gallons, not sure If I want to put that much water for a smoke... is there such a thing as too much moisture? I understand this topic can be debated and not trying to open a can of worms. I know ultimately Ill need to experiment and try different approaches till I find my way, but maybe looking for others experiences in cooking with this style of smoker (pitmaker vault, lonestar grillz, etc.).

Anyway, hopefully the link below works and you are all able to see the final product. I am happy with the way it came out, fit and finish is not bad for a novice.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskwu2SSo

Glad you finally got it done. The picture link doesn't work for me...but that's because I'm a teacher so our school has a pretty strict WiFi filters. I"ll check it out when I get home tonight. I always run a pan of water in mine. Sorta acts like a grease catcher along with helping stabilize the heat. I just use one of those big foil pans from the grocery store. Holds a couple gallons. Best of luck with your new smoker!

Looks like you did an excellent job. Can't wait till next weekend and see it in action. The link worked for me.

Chirs

Hi there. I can get my big pits up to temp in 20-25 mins starting the wood with a weed burner for 1 min (they are 1200 kg of insulated steel) . I have built a bunch of large insulated verticals and to me your exhaust is too small. I am leaning towards more and more water in my smokers. I can load 50-60 liters no problem.

I guess I just don't see the logic in having the exhaust vent so low in the smoking chamber. I would think you would built up creosote in a hurry with stale smoke in the top of the chamber. What am I missing here?

Stale smoke in a smoker is an old wives tale or myth. If your exhaust is restricted too much it will cause the fire to burn incomplete and cause creosote. Smoke inside a smoker is dynamic and as it heats/cools it will move around and pass out the stack.

Thanks for the comments. I am a bit nervous to see how it manages temperatures.

The door seals should come in Monday so I will have the doors welded on soon. Haven’t quite decided if I should weld the hinges to allow the doors to be removed or weld them fixed. I’m leaning towards removable but any thoughts on this?

I say removable. You can always weld the doors permanent later after you work all the bugs out of the new smoker.

Not ceramic wool. Here is a screenshot of the stuff I used.
upload_2018-3-5_15-24-11.png

Ah yes my nomenclature was off that is what I ment, that is actually what I'm planing to insulate the INSIDE of my RF 100 gal tank that is in the works.

That stuff is amazing good choice should do a lot of efficiency to your unit.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky