Vertical Propane Smoker Rebuild

Discussion in 'Propane Smokers' started by haus of smoke, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Howdy,

I am new here and really enjoying it. There is a ton of helpful stuff on here! Just amazing.

In the process of rebuilding my 6' tall vertical smoker that has served faithfully for over 14 years. I am compacting the burner|smoke box|water tray assembly to accommodate two more racks. Had a new burner built, thought y'all might enjoy seeing it. The burner will be removable so I can smoke with wood if need be (competition)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Nice looking burner............[​IMG]

3. adiochiro3

adiochiro3 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Wow.  I like the flamage!!

4. cowgirl

cowgirl Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks great from here too! Nice...

5. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Great start!

6. My 14 yr old son is knocking out the design of the new waterpan. There will be a drain, of course, he just can't figure out how to render it. 

7. sqwib

sqwib Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Great start... Love that burner

8. I could use a burner like that. Where can I get one

9. Jim at Tejas Smokers made it for me - I just sent him a sketch with the outside measurements. You can also buy that monster venturi from them separately. It burns just as evenly with a tiny flame too. Spreading the heat out over a wider area simply creates a wider column of moving air and eliminates the hot spots.

Sometimes when I would kick up the heat a bit for finish roasting with my smaller cast iron burner, the heat would find and follow the path of least resistance though the stack of chickens (usually) and overcook a few birds. 

They can also add an angle iron cradle with legs that the pipe burner lay in and they can weld on a grease shield that helps keep the holes from getting clogged.

http://www.tejassmokers.com/castironburners.htm   

"Custom Pipe Burners"

10. richoso1

richoso1 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Nicve concept. It's all good my friend.

11. [​IMG]

Cooking grates are finished!! 17.25" x 23.5" and heavy duty - should last a lifetime. My old grates/racks/trays were mostly from old ovens. These new ones will fit 8 birds instead of 6.

[​IMG]

12. Cooking grates are finished!! 17.25" x 23.5" and heavy duty - should last a lifetime. My old grates were mostly out of old ovens.

These new ones will fit 8 birds on a rack instead of 6. New build will have 7 grates instead of 5. (56 chickens vs. 30 before)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Adding a curved roof to my smoker. The roof will extend like a visor and allow me fetch things out of the smoker in the rain or snow.

[​IMG]

14. I'm really interested in seeing how this turns out. Please keep the pics/info coming. Looks tough so far.

15. michael ark

michael ark Master of the Pit

Looks great.Nice skills.[​IMG]

16. salbaje gato

salbaje gato Meat Mopper OTBS Member

very nice start

17. tom c

tom c Smoking Fanatic

Nice project.

18. tom c

tom c Smoking Fanatic

What psi is the regulator for the burner?

19. sunman76

sunman76 Master of the Pit

[​IMG]  looking great cant wait to see it in action!