Vertical baffle on small offsets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hockeydudde

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 31, 2022
New Mexico
On backyard offsets, we all know unless you do something about it, you end up with a hot spot be the fire box.
Most commonly discussed I see some combination of deflectors and tuning plates used and discussed (first crude illustration). Maybe it's a user error, but when I've tried on my Highland, this just turns the entire cook chamber into a hot spot if the firr gets a little out of hand.

It seems to me a vertical baffle (second crude illustration) to block line of sight to the fire and divert the heat and smoke up as quickly as possible would better protect meat near the fire box and even temperatures. In my mind, this would allow the rest of the cook chamber to behave more like a large offset.

I'm thinking about trying it, but was curious if there was any experience or cautionary tales before I do.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220717-144038~2.png
    Screenshot_20220717-144038~2.png
    98.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20220717-144157~2.png
    Screenshot_20220717-144157~2.png
    104.8 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: JLeonard
I don't know how handy you are, but bbqsmokermods makes a drop in reverse flow plate you can use to convert a standard flow highland to a reverse flow. You have to move the stack to the firebox side of the grill, of course. I may eventually go that route.

If you want to look at it, go to their site and look at the Highland reverse flow parts.

I don't know about that vertical mod. Seems to me you're gonna lose your draft at the grate doing it that way.

I've got a Highland and after a whole bunch of mods including the horizontal baffle mod, I'm very happy with it. Just did pork ribs today on it! Let me know if you're interested in hearing about my Highland mods. :-)

I don't know about that vertical mod. Seems to me you're gonna lose your draft at the grate doing it that way.
Kind of what I was thinking. Seems like the smoke would stay at the top and go straight out the stack.

Reactions: Marknmd
I have not used these smokers, but I would say step 1 is to use biscuits to do a baseline test then make mods and retest till your happy.

I know a friend of mine likes his to be hot on the fire box side so he can do different types of meats.

I prefer to be even across my grate but to each his own right?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky