Verdict on wrapped vs unwrapped

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

binnesman

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 23, 2021
Thanks for all the input you all gave me on the topic of wrapped or unwrapped, as well as the post I did on temperature to cook ribs at. I don’t have any pics because it was so darn late and focused on eating. I cooked the ribs unwrapped for 3 hrs at 230 then wrapped for 1 hr. The only reason I wrapped for the hr was I wanted to create juice to thin out sauce. Then put all that juice in the bbq sauce and made the perfect glaze. I then basted them unwrapped every half hour until they hit i temp of about 198 and had the perfect bend to them. I will not make them any other way now and the wife said it was the best ribs I have ever made. The bark the crust the glaze created was amazing.

Sounds good. My wife and I have a way of doing baby backs that we don't stray from anymore too.
I make a mixture of yellow mustard, worchestershire, and spices, then coat the whole thing. I char the mixture onto the meat on a hot grill, flipping and recoating until I run out of mixture. After that, we wrap in foil and bake for 2 hours. We sauce after the fact. Turns out amazing every time.
Kudos on finding your preferred method! And now I want some ribs....

glad you liked it. I stopped wrapping ribs just to make it easier. But I might have to try to wrap them one more time to mix the juice in with the sauce.

Thanks for all the input you all gave me on the topic of wrapped or unwrapped, as well as the post I did on temperature to cook ribs at. I don’t have any pics because it was so darn late and focused on eating. I cooked the ribs unwrapped for 3 hrs at 230 then wrapped for 1 hr. The only reason I wrapped for the hr was I wanted to create juice to thin out sauce. Then put all that juice in the bbq sauce and made the perfect glaze. I then basted them unwrapped every half hour until they hit i temp of about 198 and had the perfect bend to them. I will not make them any other way now and the wife said it was the best ribs I have ever made. The bark the crust the glaze created was amazing.

Sounds awesome! It's great to nail some ribs :)
I still would like challenge you to try 1 rack unwrapped the whole time sometimes. Gives you an excuse to do more ribs and make more for "later" hahaha. My for "later" ribs don't ever last that long as I end up eating ribs every day until they are gone haha :D

I trimmed the whole rack so the rib bones I kept on the whole time and they were so good, I would not let anyone eat them lol. Gave the wife a nibble.😁

Don’t wrap if I am the principal consumer as I prefer dry rub by a large margin.
Do wrap and sauce for some company, and have to make some FOTB for others.
Different horses for different course, all good eats.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky