Venting question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bowmanmt

Original poster
Oct 10, 2018
On my 48 inch Weston vertical smoker it has 3 vents, one on top and on bottom both sides. I know its a stupid question but what are they for, To cool higher temps, or to let the smoke out? Sorry for the newbie question.

Newbie questions are the best kind! They mean someone's getting into this stuff for the first time ;)

The vents allow for proper air circulation through the smoker. Through the chimney effect, cool air is sucked in through the bottom vents, heated up by the burner, rises through the smoke chamber, and exits through the top vent carrying the smoke with it. So having proper circulation is important to ensure good heat and smoke distribution. It also allows humidity to escape the smoker. If it is too humid inside the smoke chamber, it can condense and turn to a foul tasting creosote like stuff. You don't want that.

As for what the proper settings are, i recommend trial and error. On my Broil King Smoke, the bottom vents are not adjustable, so they are always wide open and I only control over the top ones ( I have 2 top vents). I have found that I can use the top vents to fine tune the temperature of the cooking chamber. The more I close them, the less air circulation, so the cooler the smoking chamber. But I'm only familiar with my rig so YMMV

Hope that helps

My pleasure

keep in mind that the vent settings I use are my own personal experience. Other people might recommend other things. At the end of the day, trial and error is your best bet. Play around with it. Figuring out how to optimize your cook is part of the fun

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky