Venison Triple Threat... Meatloaf, Armadillo Eggs, and a Fatty

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Misplaced Nebraskan

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 20, 2018
Austin, TX
n.jpg

j.jpg

c.jpg

I recently cooked up a few different meals and since they are all Venison Based I figured I'd lump them into one thread.

Some quick cliff notes:

The Meatloaf - A friend on another forum planted the idea for trying to make "meatloaf, a bag of chips, and a PBR look fancy". I had to give it a go. Plus, I was way overdue for some meatloaf.

I mixed up some venison with Frito Lays and a decided to make two different loafs. I am testing two different blends of a garlic heavy rub for a friend so I figured I'd season each loaf with each rub. I ran these on the smoker @ 250°F until I hit an IT of 165°F. The venison is actually a home blend of venison and bacon so I had to make sure it got cooked.

k.jpg

m.jpg

Towards the end I made up a Ketchup/Sriracha/Garlic Rub Glaze for the toppings and painted them on. Lots of garlic in these!

l.jpg

n.jpg

The obvious deviation came from the gas station I stopped at not having PBR... So I took the liberty of subbing in some Lone Star. I think it still went well enough with the theme haha. These meatloafs were really good! The garlic was front and center but not overwhelming. I ended up making little sammiches with these the next day too! I'll be revisiting these again in the future.

Next up is a pretty standard Fatty. I was craving a venison bacon cheeseburger and then decided to pivot to this to scratch that fatty itch :emoji_grin:

One pound of venison covered in some Pepper Jack cheese, some leftover brisket and a touch more rub.

a.jpg

Onto the smoker at 250°F until IT was around 150°F and then cranked the temp up a bit to crisp up the bacon a little in the last moments.

b.jpg

c.jpg

Fairly straightforward but it hit the spot I was having cravings for.

As many times as I've made jalapeno poppers, I had never done armadillo eggs... I decided to remedy that.

Side note: this little citrus tool that I'm pretty sure a lot of people have that don't know where it actually came from cause I've never bought one but always had one... That tool... is great for coring jalapenos! I may be new to this trick but I love it!

d.jpg

Stuffing of Tillamook Shredded Cheese, Cream Cheese, and some BBQ Rub

e.jpg

Peppers stuffed and wrapped in bacon

f.jpg

Dusted with more rub and then onto the smoker @ 250°F until it was around 140°F or so, then cranked up the temp to crisp them up.

g.jpg

h.jpg

I made up a quick glaze of Raspberry Chipotle, Rub, and a little splash of whiskey for good measure. Lightly painted the eggs and let hem set up for a few more minutes.

i.jpg

j.jpg

These may be the best things I made of the three. In fact... I may have to make some more tonight haha. The peppers maintained a nice kick to them and the glaze was amazing on them!

All fun cooks and items that I had strayed from that I needed to circle back too. So many recipes and so little time!

tl;dr

200w.gif

Cheers Y'all!

Now that's my kind of Q right there. Very impressive Zach. I'm with Vol in that I'd need a sampler plate consisting of all three of them there goodies. Love the diagonal weave on that fatty!!!

Point for sure
Chris

Edit: I wonder if Jalapeno Fritos would take it up another notch

Oh and BTW you don't have to try to make a PBR look fancy. It in itself is glorious. Just ask gmc2003 gmc2003

Vol is correct. It doesn't make any sense in trying to make PBR fancy. It stand alone atop of the Micro brew mountain. :emoji_astonished::emoji_laughing: With Narragansett coming in a close second.

Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
Absolutely looks delicious! I'm jumping on the plate of all 3 bandwagon also! Seems to me we have that same gadget in a drawer somewhere also...might have to find it.

Great job Zach!
Ryan

View attachment 459249

Damn Zach all of that looks amazing! The presentation is top notch as always but man I don't know that I could pick just one. I will take a plate with all three please!

Oh and BTW you don't have to try to make a PBR look fancy. It in itself is glorious. Just ask gmc2003 gmc2003
View attachment 459250

200.gif

Agree on the PBR! It's fancy AF already :emoji_laughing: and waaay better than lone star haha

Now that's my kind of Q right there. Very impressive Zach. I'm with Vol in that I'd need a sampler plate consisting of all three of them there goodies. Love the diagonal weave on that fatty!!!

Point for sure
Chris

Edit: I wonder if Jalapeno Fritos would take it up another notch

Vol is correct. It doesn't make any sense in trying to make PBR fancy. It stand alone atop of the Micro brew mountain. :emoji_astonished::emoji_laughing: With Narragansett coming in a close second.

Chris

Thanks Chris! Jalapeno Fritos would be excellent! I'll make a note of that for next time! Diagonal weaves are where it's at :emoji_grin:

I've always had a soft spot for PBR. Always classic :emoji_ok_hand:

All of that looks delicious as usual Zach!

Thank ya! There's so many great ideas on this site my list grows faster than I can knock em all out!

Absolutely looks delicious! I'm jumping on the plate of all 3 bandwagon also! Seems to me we have that same gadget in a drawer somewhere also...might have to find it.

Great job Zach!
Ryan

Thanks Ryan! I think the trio would make a great meal together. It was a good few days separate though for sure.

What's not to love about those three cooks? Nothing! I'd really stay right with that meatloaf for awhile, course I'd bring some of my own beer to share Zach, Like! RAY

Wow Zach. I'm totally blown away. You just keep coming up with all these amazing meals that are otherworldly...and the presentation is absolutely first rate. I'm with the others though, please sir, some of all three and I'll be a very happy camper. Great job my friend!!

Robert

What's not to love about those three cooks? Nothing! I'd really stay right with that meatloaf for awhile, course I'd bring some of my own beer to share Zach, Like! RAY

Plenty of room in the beer fridge Ray! Plus Robert is within driving distance and almost always has some delicious brews on tap!

Wow Zach. I'm totally blown away. You just keep coming up with all these amazing meals that are otherworldly...and the presentation is absolutely first rate. I'm with the others though, please sir, some of all three and I'll be a very happy camper. Great job my friend!!

Robert

Thanks Robert! I keep falling behind on getting some posts up, hence the merging, but it did unintentionally create a full menu full of... Low(er) Carb solutions! Heavy on the Bacon and meat. Can't go wrong!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky