Venison summer sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

klutzyspuds

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Central WI
With the Wisconsin gun deer season past and meat in the freezer, it's time to start the process of turning the venison into those goodies. After spending a small fortune year after year having sausage and other things made commercially, I decided last year to start spending some of that money on "toys" to make it myself.

Last year was a major learning session, and this year may be as well, but I am older and wiser, so the mild success of last year has me wanting for greatness this year.

My hunting group--all family, from dad to brothers to sons--have a few deer between us, so a few batches of sausage and snack sticks, jerkey and bacon, and maybe even some brats will most likely be attempted. I will post some of these in the appropriate categories over the next few days as time allows, and hope you guys enjoy, but this is the summer sausage.

We have two different batches mixed stuffed and smoked, just resting in the fridge a couple days to bloom before sealing and freezing. The first was a 30 pound batch made with a High mountain summer sausage kit where we added a little extra garlic and mixed as 21 pounds venison, 6 pounds of 73/27 beef, and 3 pounds of high fat pork loin. This mix has good fat content and doesn't seem too dry or too fatty or greasy for our tastes.

Sorry I didn't get any starter pics, but here is the first batch in the smoker.

The next batch was made with a roasted garlic kit I ordered out of Curleys sausage kitchen. This is a new flavor for me, but have read here on SMF that it is supposed to be good. This batch we mixed up straight 50/50 venison to pork. Again, sorry I missed the early shots, but after the smoke, IT to 155 and ice water bath, I hung it up to bloom for a couple hours before spending a couple days resting in the fridge before packaging.

Thanks for looking. I will be back after soon with money shots of the finished product to share with everyone once the required rest time is up.:pot:

Nice job on the deer hunting - tag soup for me in that dept. LOL but have some friends that were successful and will be bringing me some to smoke for them later on,, So I am the official taste tester 

Yours looks great so far cant wait for the money shot. 

A full smoker is a happy smoker 

DS 

Looks great! Like DS no animals for me this year, but my hunting buddy ended up with 30 pounds of venison that we are going to process into summer sausage. I provide the pork the seasonings, the equipment. We split it 50/50.

Nice job on the deer hunting - tag soup for me in that dept. LOL but have some friends that were successful and will be bringing me some to smoke for them later on,, So I am the official taste tester 

DS 

It looks great!

Nice job!

Al

Thanks Al.

DS 

Thanks, DS. Afraid to let friends try this stuff and other goodies as it might give me a part time job I don't need.

DS 

Looks great! Like DS no animals for me this year, but my hunting buddy ended up with 30 pounds of venison that we are going to process into summer sausage. I provide the pork the seasonings, the equipment. We split it 50/50.

Thanks dirt. Sorry you and DS weren't successful in your venison quest, but sounds like you got a nice little deal with your buddies. Money shots to come soon.

Mark

Ok guys, got the money shots today as I was packing these up. As I said in the first post, I used The Roasted garlic kit from Curleys. Tastes like it could use a little time to mature, but really good flavor and texture. This is going to be a good winter with a freezer full of this stuff.

Thanks for looking.:yahoo:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky