Venison Summer Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jfsjazz

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 6, 2012
Ohio
Since I have virtually no experience with sausage making and cures, I used the Hi Mountain Summer Sausage kit for this first attempt at sausage making.  With the help of previous posters on this forum, this sausage came out fantastic! I used a 50/50 mix of venison and pork butt for this project. Much like a lot of the foods that are prepared by members of this site, you would really have to pay up if you bought this stuff in a deli!!  Thanks to all SMF members for your guidance!!!!!

Grinding with my Xmas present grinder:

Stuffed and ready for smoking after a 24 hour rest:

Smoked for about 3 hours with increasing smoker temps (from 120 to 180) to an internal of 156:

Sliced and ready for the vacuum sealer:

Cheers!

Man that looks great - Very nice job you are now addicted I am sure   

I take smoker to only 170 with IT152 but do what works for you

congratulation_graphics_2.gif

Last edited:
Stayhot,

Yes, the smoke flavor was very good.  I used a larger amount of cherry chips than I normally would, knowing that the smoke was going to be a shorter one.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky