• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Venison Summer Sausage

jfsjazz

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 6, 2012
Since I have virtually no experience with sausage making and cures, I used the Hi Mountain Summer Sausage kit for this first attempt at sausage making.  With the help of previous posters on this forum, this sausage came out fantastic! I used a 50/50 mix of venison and pork butt for this project. Much like a lot of the foods that are prepared by members of this site, you would really have to pay up if you bought this stuff in a deli!!  Thanks to all SMF members for your guidance!!!!!

Grinding with my Xmas present grinder:

Stuffed and ready for smoking after a 24 hour rest:

Smoked for about 3 hours with increasing smoker temps (from 120 to 180) to an internal of 156:

Sliced and ready for the vacuum sealer:

Cheers!

driedstick

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 3, 2011
Man that looks great - Very nice job you are now addicted I am sure   

I take smoker to only 170 with IT152 but do what works for you

Last edited:

bkleinsmid

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Mar 11, 2010
You are in trouble now.....sausage is a very addicting hobby. Those chubs look great.

Brad

boykjo

Sausage maker
Staff member
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Apr 28, 2010
very nice SS..... Great job...............

stayhot

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 12, 2011
Having only smoked for 3 hours did you get a decent smoke flavor? I usually smoked mine for 5-6 hours at least.

jfsjazz

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 6, 2012
Stayhot,

Yes, the smoke flavor was very good.  I used a larger amount of cherry chips than I normally would, knowing that the smoke was going to be a shorter one.

logical1

Joined Jan 21, 2014
I have to say those are some great looking chubs, I have made a little myself but those look about as good as they get!

Real beauties....

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.