Venison snack sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jrypka

Original poster
Nov 11, 2020
3rd try at snack sticks yesterday. Better than 2nd try, which was better than first try, so at least I’m going in the right direction. They actually were pretty good. It was a 7.5 pound batch with 4.75 lb venison and 2.75 pork grind that was maybe 70/30. I used B&P premix seasoning and I added 5/8 oz phosphate and 5/8 oz ECA. 1/2 pound of HT cheddar. Thanks to the fine folks on this forum and their ideas for modding the MES30 which I did so I could hang from smoke sticks near the top of the smoker. I used the AMNPS for smoke with apple pellets. 1 hour at 125 no smoke. 1 hour at 140. 1.5 hour at 160. 0.5 hour at 180. Sticks hit 160 in just und 4 hours. I didn’t plan to go to 180 that quick but the IT was catching the ambient so I bumped it up to keep them moving. Then 10 minutes in a water bath.

I finally got “the look” right. They’re pretty! Nice and full. Good casing adherence. Hanging seems much better than coiling. Texture is great. Just the right amount of moisture. The B&P phosphate seemed to work much better than the carrot fiber from the previous attempt. Just the right amount of tang. I used the ECA at a rate of 2oz/25lb, which is half of what Walton’s has on their recipe. I used it at 4oz/25lb in my summer sausage and that was a bit strong.

My only complaint on this batch is the smoke. It’s too strong. 3 hours of smoke from the AMNPS. I didn’t think that’d be too much but it was. Thinking I’ll use chips in the MES next time.

How long do you put smoke to your snack sticks? Am I using the AMNPS wrong? It seems to put out a TON of smoke. I light it for about 30 seconds with a torch and let it flame a couple minutes before blowing it out and putting it in the smoker.

Thanks for all the tips on here!

I got beat up bad first time I posted and didn't have pics . They had signs and everything . Lol .

Glad it's going in the right direction . They will get better as they sit . Paper bag or un waxed butcher paper in the fridge for a couple days . I go longer , because I like mine dry .
I roll smoke the whole time or until it runs out .

Reactions: SherryT
Let the flame burn for at least 10 to 15 minutes When you first blow the flame out on the amnps you will get heavier smoke, let it smolder for 20 to 30 minutes then add your meat, also the mailbox mod will help with cleaner smoke. Also some mes smokers wont burn chips unless you have it at 200 or higher not sure about yours.

I got beat up bad first time I posted and didn't have pics . They had signs and everything . Lol .

Glad it's going in the right direction . They will get better as they sit . Paper bag or un waxed butcher paper in the fridge for a couple days . I go longer , because I like mine dry .
I roll smoke the whole time or until it runs out .

Yeah, some well deserved “ribbing” always makes for a better community!

What’s the purpose of letting them breathe in the fridge? How does the taste change? After 4 hours in the fridge yesterday I went right to the VacMaster. Perhaps that was a mistake.

Let the flame burn for at least 10 to 15 minutes When you first blow the flame out on the amnps you will get heavier smoke, let it smolder for 20 to 30 minutes then add your meat, also the mailbox mod will help with cleaner smoke. Also some mes smokers wont burn chips unless you have it at 200 or higher not sure about yours.

I hear a lot about the mailbox mod. I need to look into it more. I’ve also heard about the MES not making smoke at low temps. Right now it’s 20 degrees outside so I think the burner has to run enough to get to 140 that I’d get smoke. In the summer, maybe not.

Hmmm, That's amazing that you're getting too much smoke from an AMNPS with such a short time of lighting prep. Most people who would put it in that quick, would have it go out before long.
Are you by chance lighting both ends?? That's the only way I ever got too heavy a smoke from an AMNPS.

Bear

Hmmm, That's amazing that you're getting too much smoke from an AMNPS with such a short time of lighting prep. Most people who would put it in that quick, would have it go out before long.
Are you by chance lighting both ends?? That's the only way I ever got too heavy a smoke from an AMNPS.

Bear
No, just one end. However, I only filled it about 3/4 full and when I laid it down the pellets kind of spread out in the tube so maybe the extra air space let it burn faster?

ive got the 12” hexagonal tube and I just lay it flat on the drip pan

Sounds good, glad you're moving in right direction. If you think they're too smoky try using dust instead of pellets.

Ryan

What’s the purpose of letting them breathe in the fridge? How does the taste change?
Dries them out , mellows the smoke a bit . It's a tip I picked up from SFLsmkr1 .
After 1 night in the fridge , getting ready to wrap
20201009_194645.jpg
After a couple days in the fridge
20201010_105544.jpg
And like I said , I like mine dry . Re-wrapped and back in the fridge for " a while "
20201018_113558.jpg

No, just one end. However, I only filled it about 3/4 full and when I laid it down the pellets kind of spread out in the tube so maybe the extra air space let it burn faster?

ive got the 12” hexagonal tube and I just lay it flat on the drip pan

I see what the problem is here:
You were calling it an "AMNPS" in Post #1.
And like I said, it's hard to get Too Much Smoke from an AMNPS.
However an "AMNPS" is actually a 5" X 8" Tray that you put pellets or dust in. Then you light one end & it snakes around the Maze giving perfect smoke the whole time.

Now in Post #10, you said you're using a Tube, which is the thing I won't use in my MES, because it always puts out too much smoke for me. The tubes are designed for bigger smokers & smokers being used at high altitudes (2000'+), where oxygen is limited.

I would get an AMNPS for your small smoker.

Bear

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Bear, thank you for the correction. Still learning proper terminology but yes you are correct I have the tube. Definitely too much smoke. I’ve got venison Bologna in there now. Using chips in the MES today instead. We’ll see how it goes. Thanks!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky