Venison snack sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
Did a 25lb batch of venison snack sticks. First deer on the ground was a big old doe, and I am going on a week long hunt in Missouri, so I wanted some goodies for the trip. Here we go.

7665F2B8-B905-4C09-9FD6-F5C62BD9301E.jpeg
started out with 12.5 lbs of venison, 10lbs of pork from a Boston butt, and 2.5 lbs of bacon ends from my home made bacon supply. I was also using PS Seasonings Tex Mex mix. I’ve been enjoying their blends lately.
A while back I bought a #32 Cabelas 1.5 hp grinder from a friend. It is a beast. Well same guy let me borrow his mixer and lem 25 lb electric stuffer.
64946F9A-5BC4-4F2A-8FBB-E301A5AE7394.jpeg
This equipment made the job a whole lot easier until I had to clean it in my little old sink!!
F0804C51-4F65-45B6-BC8A-89F331EE91DC.jpeg

04468377-8C2D-4BA0-98D9-63F7E719A23F.jpeg
6BE17F11-4099-4DFC-B494-AE96DE5989B9.jpeg
the stuffing part really took a lot of patience. Even though it’s a lot easier having the electric, I still had my hands full so not a lot of pics during this phase.
Now I had to hunt this weekend, so I refrigerated the sausages over the weekend, and smoked them on my Lang Sunday evening.
I used hickory chunks and hickory pellets. I ran 100 for 1st hour, bumped to 150 the next 4 hours, then up to 175 until my sticks hit 150/155 internal. About 5.5 hrs total.
A48A85AE-BF8C-447B-BE8E-4CDEE4A437F0.jpeg
here they are initially at 100, while I was drying them off.
090F3A78-AA3A-4E08-9DF8-9056933D5DD1.jpeg
And here they are right before I pulled them.
82809EAE-E8A6-4EA6-A410-20EF03DE33F6.jpeg
C0DBB863-2738-47CF-959E-046C1151339E.jpeg
7B31209C-A792-41B0-A81B-0CB27A3FF260.jpeg
A4C951AF-23CA-4105-B087-27482458EC93.jpeg
2EDA74D8-C53D-44F1-9E0D-33EC49DCA941.jpeg

really happy with how these came out. Smoky, spicy and a really good snap. Thanks for looking.

We might even have room in one of our Redneck Blinds depending on how many snack sticks you bring haha. Your snack sticks look great...LIKE!

I am making 4.1 pounds (wet weight) of venison jerky right now for the same reason. Saved the last 2 roasts for that.

Looks good . Depending on what county you're hunting in , you have to take the deer to a CWD testing site . Good luck .

I just had a small rack 4 point walk across my back yard about an hour ago----How many of those Beautiful Sticks do you have left??? Slurp-------
Nice Job Saints Fan!!!
Like.

Bear

Look like a nice batch...
Thanks Winterrider!
Yes sir your hunting camp is going to be very happy. Nice job fine looking snack sticks.

Warren
Thanks Warren, I enjoy sharing so I hope they are!
Those look fantastic! Nice work!
Thanks creek!
Those look good, nice color!
Thanks X-ray I was happy w the color they got for sure!
Those look great, i get alot of what the processor calls polish venison
thanks!
We might even have room in one of our Redneck Blinds depending on how many snack sticks you bring haha. Your snack sticks look great...LIKE!
Thanks uncle eddie! I’ll bring all that I’ve got in exchange for a place to hunt that’s for sure! They are pretty tasty but I’m still working on them.
I am making 4.1 pounds (wet weight) of venison jerky right now for the same reason. Saved the last 2 roasts for that.
I’m making jerky too, Korean bbq hope it comes out ok.
Looks good . Depending on what county you're hunting in , you have to take the deer to a CWD testing site . Good luck .
thanks chop, what’s funny is my fraternity brother lives in ofallon, that’s where we are staying Thursday night.
I just had a small rack 4 point walk across my back yard about an hour ago----How many of those Beautiful Sticks do you have left??? Slurp-------
Nice Job Saints Fan!!!
Like.

Bear
Hahaha! Thanks Bear, I’ve got a bunch. Bit of a cold so my taste buds aren’t good enough to enjoy them right now. I’m saving them!!

thanks chop, what’s funny is my fraternity brother lives in ofallon, that’s where we are staying Thursday night.
Wow , no kidding . I'm 3 miles north of 70 off Hwy 79 . I'll be heading to St. James sometime Friday , hunt thru Monday .

Good looking stuff right there...

now to step it up to the next level... try using natural sheep casings the next time... they take a little more finess but the final results are well worth it... when I use them I'll call that batch "The Limited Version" ... LOL

Reactions: 73saint
Good looking stuff right there...

now to step it up to the next level... try using natural sheep casings the next time... they take a little more finess but the final results are well worth it... when I use them I'll call that batch "The Limited Version" ... LOL
That's what I prefer to use, 19-21mm sheep casings but they are pricey and a PITA to work with but I like em.

HT

Sorry that I’m late to the party on these. Great job - those looks awesome!

Curious - do these have a cure in them? I’m intrigued and trying to learn.

Sorry that I’m late to the party on these. Great job - those looks awesome!

Curious - do these have a cure in them? I’m intrigued and trying to learn.
illini I am sorry I just saw your question, and yes, they have cure #1 in them...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky