Venison snack sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

klutzyspuds

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Central WI
Every year for several now, I have been the go to guy in my family for making all of our families goodies with the trimmings from our yearly venison harvest. Well this year wasn’t too good for me personally, but as a group, we did come away with some meat. The first batch of sausage has been ground, seasoned and ready for stuffing.

We have a Cabela’s brand stuffer, 11# model, that has been a good machine. That is until this year. We used the largest tube first to stuff a 15# batch of summer sausage. No problems there. Then, the next morning, after the mixed meat sat in the fridge overnight, we started in on the snack sticks. Same procedure as normal for us, other than the meat having rested overnight. We have the small stainless steel casing tube, I believe they call it a 10 mm, and it usually works fantastic for making snackers.

Well, this year we get about one good six foot casing stuffed, and the plunger seal suddenly decides it’s not gonna hold. As we crank, as much meat starts slipping past the seal as is being pushed into the casing. Take it apart, clean it, make sure it is properly seated in the plunger groove, and retry. Same result... Now what?

Plan B. Get the jerky gun out and try laying a bead of meat out to make some casingless sticks. This is gonna work, but small diameter and time consuming.

Plan C. The stuffer had worked just fine with the larger tube. Let’s try the smallest tube that is listed as 20 mm. Works great, but slightly larger than I’d like. But!!! We have success. I had never made the sticks casingless before, but it was worth the try. Guess I need to find a new plunger seal for my stuffer.

Needless to say, I don’t think I’ll be too worried about fighting with casings again for quite some time. Looking into a 16 mm. stuffer tube to decrease diameter size a little, but regardless, they turned out fantastic.

The ones we got made with casings.

916B7E4C-E354-40B8-8C88-26D8E537F15C.jpeg

The start of the casingless ones from the stuffer. Taking a little practice to get them to the right length, and a tad bigger in diameter than I was hoping.

248108A5-73AE-4542-86ED-240DA836CF87.jpeg

Resting overnight in the fridge.

547160C2-FEEB-491B-BC1F-47AFA4DB9802.jpeg

They spent a couple hours in the smoker, then to the oven to be finished while another batch of summer sausage was smoking.

5B1C63BC-73F9-4D9A-8B69-4DD4804AB9F2.jpeg

Ones made with the jerky gun. Kinda ended up like a slim Jim. Haven’t ruled a batch of yhese out completely though. Sorry it’s blurry. Didn’t notice that till I couldn’t get a better one.

518563AD-930D-4BBD-9B69-083A103AC902.jpeg

And lastly, a quick shot of the summer sausage. This stuff gets better every year. Practice, I guess.

2DB7785B-01A8-4529-A689-BA7B759697D1.jpeg

Apparently I didn’t get a finished shot of the larger sticks, but they turned out fantastic.

Not sure who makes your stuffer . I have a 5 lb LEM . First time I made sticks using the 3/8 tube , I let the mix sit over night un stuffed . Took 2 hands to get them stuffed . So now I get everything ready , mix , stuff , hold over night ,,,

Anyway , the extreme pressure caused the base , or the bolts or something to flex enough that the plunger was not riding square to the body of the stuffer . I recently had a blow out stuffing Bologna , but wasn't because of the o ring . It was the position of the plunger . Just something you might want to look into .

Nice job on getting it done , looks good .

Thanks for the info Chopsaw. Not sure I did anything different other than the meat being colder than normal as it was fresh out of the fridge. I don’t know exactly who makes that model either. Thinking Haaka, but not positive. Regardless, definitely will revisit this and see if I need to make adjustments before spending lots of money on new seals.

KS, It is always harder to stuff meat through the smaller tubes,also your meat has set up by resting with all the spice/salt in it. Sometimes a bit of water added to the mix before stuffing does the trick as it loosens the mix up to move easier in the tube. Your final results look quite good and very tasty! like

Here’s the money shots you asked for.

Casingless snack sticks

75192546-B0FB-40A6-9406-2B69B33E1814.jpeg

And the summer sausage

6193D683-2F49-43AA-85CD-F74274C84612.jpeg

Very tasty!

Mark

Every year for several now, I have been the go to guy in my family for making all of our families goodies with the trimmings from our yearly venison harvest. Well this year wasn’t too good for me personally, but as a group, we did come away with some meat. The first batch of sausage has been ground, seasoned and ready for stuffing.

We have a Cabela’s brand stuffer, 11# model, that has been a good machine. That is until this year. We used the largest tube first to stuff a 15# batch of summer sausage. No problems there. Then, the next morning, after the mixed meat sat in the fridge overnight, we started in on the snack sticks. Same procedure as normal for us, other than the meat having rested overnight. We have the small stainless steel casing tube, I believe they call it a 10 mm, and it usually works fantastic for making snackers.

Well, this year we get about one good six foot casing stuffed, and the plunger seal suddenly decides it’s not gonna hold. As we crank, as much meat starts slipping past the seal as is being pushed into the casing. Take it apart, clean it, make sure it is properly seated in the plunger groove, and retry. Same result... Now what?

Plan B. Get the jerky gun out and try laying a bead of meat out to make some casingless sticks. This is gonna work, but small diameter and time consuming.

Plan C. The stuffer had worked just fine with the larger tube. Let’s try the smallest tube that is listed as 20 mm. Works great, but slightly larger than I’d like. But!!! We have success. I had never made the sticks casingless before, but it was worth the try. Guess I need to find a new plunger seal for my stuffer.

Needless to say, I don’t think I’ll be too worried about fighting with casings again for quite some time. Looking into a 16 mm. stuffer tube to decrease diameter size a little, but regardless, they turned out fantastic.

The ones we got made with casings.

View attachment 384311

The start of the casingless ones from the stuffer. Taking a little practice to get them to the right length, and a tad bigger in diameter than I was hoping.

View attachment 384312

Resting overnight in the fridge.

View attachment 384316

They spent a couple hours in the smoker, then to the oven to be finished while another batch of summer sausage was smoking.

View attachment 384317

Ones made with the jerky gun. Kinda ended up like a slim Jim. Haven’t ruled a batch of yhese out completely though. Sorry it’s blurry. Didn’t notice that till I couldn’t get a better one.

View attachment 384318

And lastly, a quick shot of the summer sausage. This stuff gets better every year. Practice, I guess.

View attachment 384319

Apparently I didn’t get a finished shot of the larger sticks, but they turned out fantastic.
always fill your casings after mixing the meat. has more water in it and much easier to work with.dry meat will blow the ring out every time.it will cure in the caseings just as good with no more work to do.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky