Venison sausages

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tas boy

Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
Just wondering if anyone has a recipe for venison sausages,and also do you grind the meat once or twice.
Cheers Michael

TB. You can use any sausage recipe .You need to add pork back fat at about 4 parts venison to 1 part fat. I always grind twice to get a good mix

I make a lot of venison sausages. I mix 50% pork in with mine to cut the venison for my wife, then with the spices and she likes it. You can just use pig fat to add fat to the venison sausage if you want it straight. I get pork fat from my local butcher for $.50 a pound.

Venison is ground when I butcher on medium normally at my house. Then I have pork butt and pig fat cut into cubes and par frozen 45 minutes to an hour. Then I grind the pork all on course. Then I throw the pork on trays and venison mixed in a par freeze again for an hour. Then pull it out and regrind on fine.

These are in the "Wild Game" section and from recipes I found on here.
Venison beer brats
Sweet Italian sausage

Just wondering if anyone has a recipe for venison sausages,and also do you grind the meat once or twice.
Cheers Michael

Hi there and welcome!

There are quite a few approaches you can take and the others are giving great info.
I have been using store bought seasonings because I found a pair that are amazing!

As for meat to fat, I buy trimmed pork back fat from the butcher.
I do 80% pure venison meat and 20% pork back fat. This makes consistent and amazing sausages for me every year and the math is super simple.

5 pounds sausage = 4 pounds meat and 1 pound fat
10 pounds of sausage = 8 pounds of meat and 2 pounds of fat
Make sausage in increments 5 or 10 (so make in pounds of 5,10,15,20,25,etc.).

I grind once using a not super fine and not course grinding plate and I have found that my mixing process will make the final sausage mix even more fine than if I would have double ground everything so I just save the time and grind once.

If trying unproven (to you) recipes or store bought mixes always do a fry test for saltiness and blandness testing.
Once mixed up make a couple of patties and fry it up in the skillet. If it is too salty then add more meat + fat grind. If too bland then mix in a little more seasoning. This extra step will save you from stuffing large amounts of sausage only to find out that it is sub-par for all the time and care spent making it.

I hope all this info helps!

what they all said. I will add that if you can find a nice local butcher/sausage maker you might be able to buy pork trimmings from them. I can get 70 or 75% lean pork trim for a lot less than pork butt and it works great as a mix with venison or when the deer is gone I will grind it a bit leaner (trim some fat away) and use it straight until we get more goose or venison to make wild game sausage again.

This is what I use for my venison sausage, for 10 lb venison add 2 to 3 lb pork or beef fat, 3 oz garlic salt 1 oz black pepper 1/3 oz garlic powder then I sprinkle in some sugar, I grind mine twice coarse and hand mix seasoning, II add water to make easier to mix and softens it up if you plan on stuffing in casings. If you like hot sausage this is what I use meat prep is the same on digital scale 3 1/2 ozsalt 1 oz crushed red pepper (more or less depending on your taste) 1 oz fennel seed then paprika to color, same thing add water to make mixing easier?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky