Venison beer brats

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

archeryrob

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
Western Maryland
I have been working on refining recipes I can find for my home processing. I don;t like deer as steak and crock pot venison gets old fast.

I had found this recipe on here that Oddegan posted and knew I needed to try it. I liked it and didn’t change it at all. I had only one 1.7# pack of ground deer left, so I upped the percentage of pork butt to get to 5 pounds. What you see below went into the freezer for an hour. Then it went through the grinder on the coarse plate.

dogs-brats1-large.jpg

The coarse grind with the deer meat after an hour in the freezer again. Then back into the grinder on the fine 1/8″ plate.

dogs-brats2-large.jpg

Here it is coming out on the fine plate ready to be mixed with spices.

dogs-brats3-large.jpg

Below is both portions separated out and mixed with the different spices for each batch. Then dropped into 1 gallon Ziploc to rest for the night.

img_1016-large.jpg

Then they were stuff and froze on trays for 1 1/2 hours to be solid enough and not fight me on vacuum sealing. I have had fresh sausage start squeezing partially out of the casings some.

img_1022-large.jpg

I haven't at them yet, but other gobbled up the fry test before I could get any and said it was great.

beer-brat-recipe.jpg

Reactions: forktender
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky