Venison Polish Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

woodcutter

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 2, 2012
Marathon Wisconsin
Sunday and Monday I finally used up the venison in my freezer. I used the recipe from lets-make-sausage.com and it turned out the way I like it.

Recipe

3 lbs trimmed venison (grinder size hunks)

2 lbs pork butt (grinder size hunks)

2 TBS garlic powder

2 TBS kosher salt

2 TBS sugar

1TBS fine ground black pepper

2 TBS papricka

1 teaspoon dried marjoram

1teaspoon mace

1 teaspoon celery seed

1 teaspoon #1 cure (prague powder or Instacure)

1 cup ice water (optional)

I was out of marjoram and I don't care for celery seed in my sausage so I deleted and still thought everything turned out the way I wanted. Also I don't add water unless I need it to help the stuffer function better. I added no water this time probably because of the summer temperatures.

Here are a few pictures

Tanner mixing meat and seasonings.

Taste testing

Enterprise stuffer which is referred to as our family heirloom.

Sausage is drying on my homemade drying racks in the air conditioning next to a fan.

No smoke yet.

4.5 hours at 165 until the sausage reached 152 IT

After a 3 minute ice water bath they were hung to bloom.

I worked with a total of 44lbs of meat on this project. I live in Wisconsin and normally make sausage in the winter. After keeping everything cold and working in small batches. I won't make a batch of this size in the summer anymore. (48 rings)

Thanks!

Looks great....sausage season is right around the corner....:drool

Man, that looks good! Thanks for posting the Recipe...JJ

Nice looking bloom...
biggrin.gif

Yours looks great .what I do is let the meat sit overnight with the seasonings in the fridge then grind it with 1/2 cup ice cold water  works for me hope it helps

I am late on this, But searching through out the forums looking for a good Polish Sausage recipe I came across this one. Looks great. Better late than never. Now for the questions, How did it turn out is it a recipe you still use or recommend? Modified? Thx. Charlie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky