Venison Philly Cheese Steak Brats / Andouille

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Winterrider

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 29, 2018
North Dakota
Time to use up more venison. 12# batch of brats and 7# of andouille.
Just used the kitchen aid for this small batch.
Brats, 6# venison - 6# pork butt ; Owens Philly Cheese Steak seasoning
Andouille, 4# venison - 3# pork butt; TSM Andouille seasoning
20200401_112542.jpg

Everything mixed up and back in fridge for an hr while cleaning up.
Ready to roll out some sausage.
20200401_132546.jpg

Only hog casings I had on hand was 32-35 mm, wish I would have had smaller size as these brats stuffed full are huge. Definitely gonna only need 1 at a setting.
20200401_140419.jpg

And the andouille all stuffed.
20200401_143319.jpg

Into the fridge for overnight to dry.
Following morning took advantage of the cold weather (12°), and decided to cold smoke them.
Set the Auber at 30° just for an air draw in the MES 40, and filled two rows of my tray with Pecan dust. Let them roll for 4 hrs.
20200402_072053.jpg

Fridge overnight and ready to vac seal.
20200403_125418.jpg

All sealed, ready for freezer.
20200403_133606.jpg

Nice work . Did you eat any ? Feed back on the Owens Philly cheese steak .
Links look perfect , I like the 50 / 50 mix .

Wondering also on the Philly cheese steak. Got some the other day. Their mushroom is delicious! (added some swiss cheese)

Last edited:
Good looking sausage!! I wanted to make some the other day but hit the fourth snag in a row with meat I bought from Wal Mart: it was spoiled. That's correct. The last 4 times I've bought pork from Wally World it has been rotten. Never again!! Of course they want to blame it on me for mishandling the products and that pisses me off to no end. Some snot-nosed little twit with their face covered with ink and piercings tries telling me I ruined the meat. It's a 15 minute drive from the store to home. Never do I go anywhere else when I have meat products, it's always straight home and into the fridge. Opened it the next day and about tossed my cookies. Sadly this time the receipt was nowhere to be found. I may have to brave the lines this morning to find some meat and get a batch going.

Rant over. Now to a serious question. How do you like the Andouille seasoning from TSM? I have a couple of their pre mixed seasonings and am impressed but not that one. The ones I have are very good but I typically make up my own recipes and have a hard time buying stuff that's pre made.

Thank you,
Robert

Some fine looking links there, nice job, Like! 32-35mm hog casings are about all I ever stuff with anymore, seem to be perfect for just about everything I like to do. No patience for sheep casings. RAY

Side note: My little rant above is not directed at Wal Mart in general. I've bought meat from them many, many times without an issue. It is just this particular store that the meat "manager" doesn't seem to know how to handle meat properly and keeps letting things go south.

Robert

Looks tasty.
Thank you.
Nice work . Did you eat any ? Feed back on the Owens Philly cheese steak .
Links look perfect , I like the 50 / 50 mix .
Thanks Chop and for the like. I have not tried them yet. Normally pattie one up to sample to see if additions are needed but did not on these. Will post when tried.
Wondering also on the Philly cheese steak. Got some the other day. Their mushroom is delicious! (added some swiss cheese)
Thanks for the like, will post feedback on the Philly Cheese. Was going to get The mushroom also. Maybe next time.
How do you like the Andouille seasoning from TSM? I have a couple of their pre mixed seasonings and am impressed but not that one. The ones I have are very good but I typically make up my own recipes and have a hard time buying stuff that's pre made.

Thank you,
Robert
Thanks Robert and for the like. Sorry to hear of your bad go around on the meat situation. That sucks !
I thought the seasoning was ok, but this is first time I have had andouille :emoji_blush: so nothing to really compare to.
Some fine looking links there, nice job, Like! 32-35mm hog casings are about all I ever stuff with anymore, seem to be perfect for just about everything I like to do. No patience for sheep casings. RAY
Thanks for the like Ray. These will be ok, I guess I just was expecting them that big. I don't know why.
kruizer kruizer , Kevinbthgrouse Kevinbthgrouse , jmusser jmusser , Thank you for the likes, appreciated.

Reactions: Norwester55
Sorry guys , I forgot to leave some feedback on the Philly Cheese Steak Brats with seasoning from Owens.
Had them again the other night. We thought they were very good, but I think the next batch I do I think I will add some high temp Pepperjack cheese for a little cheesier taste. Satisfied customer . . .[/USER]I

Edit: not sure what happened to that post. Operator error

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky