Venison Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TNJAKE

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Nov 26, 2019
Ridgetop TN🇺🇸
Howdy fellas and non fellas. First time dry curing anything. chopsaw chopsaw thanks for the help in pointing me in the right direction.

Started off with a couple small venison roasts
IMG_20220105_165305.jpg

Trimmed up and applied cure #1, kosher salt, brown sugar. Put them under a light vac seal and into the fridge for 7 days flipping and massaging daily
IMG_20220105_180959.jpg

After it finished curing pulled out, rinsed, dry and into the fridge overnight uncovered
IMG_20220113_160358.jpg

Next day mixed up meatheads pastrami rub from amazing ribs
IMG_20220113_161543.jpg

Stuffs delicious. Generous coating
IMG_20220114_083217.jpg

Put it on the smoker using pecan pellets this morning at 215°.
IMG_20220114_083306.jpg

Only took a couple hours to reach 142° IT. Pulled off and rested 10min. Final temp 145°
IMG_20220114_102619.jpg
IMG_20220114_103402.jpg
IMG_20220114_103746.jpg
IMG_20220114_103756.jpg

Ate a bunch while slicing. Vac sealed the rest for some sammiches during the snow storm coming this weekend. Was off the charts delicious.
IMG_20220114_111038.jpg

That looks amazing! Id have a hard time not eating it all then, admirable discipline! Beautiful meat, well done!

Reactions: TNJAKE
Congrats Jake for a job well done my friend. Be afraid though, be very afraid. Now that you've cured meat, there are endless things you can and will do. It can become an obsession in a hurry. First it's a few roasts, then you'll move to artisan cured Italian meats, then making cured sausages...and so on. You'll be walking through the grocery store looking at every cut of meat wondering how to cure it :emoji_wink:

Robert

That looks amazing! Id have a hard time not eating it all then, admirable discipline! Beautiful meat, well done!
Thanks Jed. Was definitely hard to restrain but I kept thinking about the reubans I'm gonna make Sunday lol

Reactions: bauchjw
Congrats Jake for a job well done my friend. Be afraid though, be very afraid. Now that you've cured meat, there are endless things you can and will do. It can become an obsession in a hurry. First it's a few roasts, then you'll move to artisan cured Italian meats, then making cured sausages...and so on. You'll be walking through the grocery store looking at every cut of meat wondering how to cure it :emoji_wink:

Robert
Thanks Robert I already have a long list of curing projects. Have a brisket flat going into the cure Sunday for beef bacon lol

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Great job with the venison and the pastrami! Good stuff there. I see a Chef's Choice 615 slicer in your future soon ;)

Great job with the venison and the pastrami! Good stuff there. I see a Chef's Choice 615 slicer in your future soon ;)
Thanks bud and lol already have one!

Reactions: tallbm
Nice work Jake . Man that came out perfect . Yup , you're hooked now .
Thanks for the mention .

Thanks David. Yep got a pork butt smoking for supperView attachment 522103

Sounds good Jake. nice big fill the belly super, I'm hoping to get a smoke done tomorrow.

Weather has been so strange this last week or 2.
Heavy winds and rain than ice and than snow tonight. And super cold again tomorrow. -19 C, not counting wind
Just a regular stupid 24 hours

David

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky