Venison over a year old Safe?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dirtfishingman

Original poster
May 6, 2018
Lowell, IN
Hey guys,
I have a buddy that his freezer went out and he brought over a bunch of Venison but i noticed its about a year and half old. Its been in his deep freezer this whole time.

Reactions: JLeonard
How many pounds did he give you ? If it's wrapped in paper I would grind it up and make SS or my favorite Bologna but that depends on how much you have. Jerky is another quick way to use it up or snack sticks.

Reactions: indaswamp
It's not vacuum sealed it's in a bag and then wrapped in butcher paper. I got a neck roast and like 9lbs of ground and and some other cuts not labeled. These were never defrosted. When his deep freezer died he drove it 2 blocks to me and it put it in the freezer

Concur, still good. Heck I always have 1 to 2 year deer hidden somewhere in freezer... I make snacksticks with it, perfect.

As others said not vacuum packed may be better to use for sausage or other things with strong spice profiles. Tends to freezer burn in that type packaging. Vacuum packed I eat stuff over 2 years from my freezer.

I just made a couple of venison roasts that had been in the freezer for a year. Turned out great in a crock pot. Made pulled venison (pulled pork) with BBQ sauce with the left overs. Getting ready for more venison coming my way.

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky