Venison Medallions with Spicy Blackberry Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks, and that sounds great.
Care to share the recipe?

Sure, glad to share.

Blackberry Ancho Chile Sauce

Ancho Purée

3 ancho chiles
4 cups boiling water
2 teaspoons garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped

Combine the ancho chiles and water in a small bowl and let stand 30 minutes. Drain well, reserving the soaking liquid. Remove the seeds and stems and purée in a food processor with the garlic, cilantro and 1/2 cup of the liquid, adding more if needed.

Blackberry Ancho Sauce

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 celery stalks, finely minced
1 carrot, finely minced
2 small, or 1 large, yellow onions, finely minced
2 tablespoons black peppercorns tied in a cheesecloth bag for easy removal
1 cup port wine
1 cup red wine
1 cup cranberry juice concentrate
½ cup ancho purée (see recipe above)
¼ cup dark brown sugar
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup fresh blackberries

Melt the butter and oil in a medium or large noncreative saucepan over medium heat. Sauté the celery, carrot and onions until the celery and carrot are tender and the onions are translucent, about 7 minutes. Add the peppercorns and continue cooking 2 more minutes.

Add the port and red wine and cook until reduced by half. Add the cranberry juice concentrate, ancho purée, sugar and stock, stirring constantly and making sure to scrape the bottom of the pan. Cook until the mixture is reduced by half. Remove the bag of peppercorns, and then strain through a fine mesh strainer, and discard solids. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and fold in the blackberries. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes.

Note: As an alternative, puree an additional ¼ cup blackberries in a food processor and add along with the cranberry juice concentrate, ancho purée, sugar, and stock.

Reactions: chilerelleno
Sure, glad to share.

Blackberry Ancho Chile Sauce

Ancho Purée

3 ancho chiles
4 cups boiling water
2 teaspoons garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped

Combine the ancho chiles and water in a small bowl and let stand 30 minutes. Drain well, reserving the soaking liquid. Remove the seeds and stems and purée in a food processor with the garlic, cilantro and 1/2 cup of the liquid, adding more if needed.

Blackberry Ancho Sauce

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 celery stalks, finely minced
1 carrot, finely minced
2 small, or 1 large, yellow onions, finely minced
2 tablespoons black peppercorns tied in a cheesecloth bag for easy removal
1 cup port wine
1 cup red wine
1 cup cranberry juice concentrate
½ cup ancho purée (see recipe above)
¼ cup dark brown sugar
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup fresh blackberries

Melt the butter and oil in a medium or large noncreative saucepan over medium heat. Sauté the celery, carrot and onions until the celery and carrot are tender and the onions are translucent, about 7 minutes. Add the peppercorns and continue cooking 2 more minutes.

Add the port and red wine and cook until reduced by half. Add the cranberry juice concentrate, ancho purée, sugar and stock, stirring constantly and making sure to scrape the bottom of the pan. Cook until the mixture is reduced by half. Remove the bag of peppercorns, and then strain through a fine mesh strainer, and discard solids. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and fold in the blackberries. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes.

Note: As an alternative, puree an additional ¼ cup blackberries in a food processor and add along with the cranberry juice concentrate, ancho purée, sugar, and stock.
That recipe looks awesome, thank you!
What does this make, approx 4 cups?

Last edited:
That recipe looks awesome, thank you!
What does this make, approx 4 cups?

It's been a long time since I made the sauce and I don't recall the finished yield but I would guess it's at least 4 cups, but more likely, 5-6 cups.

As previously mentioned, I intend to make a batch of the sauce today, and if those plans hold up, I'll let you know the outcome.

It's been a long time since I made the sauce and I don't recall the finished yield but I would guess it's at least 4 cups, but more likely, 5-6 cups.

As previously mentioned, I intend to make a batch of the sauce today, and if those plans hold up, I'll let you know the outcome.

I'd love to see some pics.
Chiles and fruit in sauces, chutneys and salsas are a great combo.
This has my direct interest.

Thanks again, Chile! The three of us thought the sauce was too vinegary, but otherwise would definitely fix again. Looking forward to you sharing more recipes.

Dinner.jpg

Thanks again, Chile! The three of us thought the sauce was too vinegary, but otherwise would definitely fix again. Looking forward to you sharing more recipes.

View attachment 388990
Glad you tried it out, looks good.
Easy enough to modify it to suit your tastes.
Halving the vinegar and upping the sugar 1/4C would probably be a good start for you.

If you haven't already, check out my recipe index for ideas and recipes.

I'd love to see some pics.
Chiles and fruit in sauces, chutneys and salsas are a great combo.
This has my direct interest.

Chile,

Sorry for not getting back sooner but I unexpectedly had to go to Houston yesterday on business and didn't return until this morning.

Made the sauce this morning with a couple changes, which is not surprising for me. To the cheesecloth bag with 2 tbs. of black peppercorns I added 1 tbs. of whole allspice. Also, I tied together a couple sprigs of fresh thyme and oregano and added that to the mix. Instead of straining the finished sauce, I pureed everything with a stick, or immersion, blender. It was a little thinner than I wanted so I added a bit of xanthan gum to thicken it up a bit, then added the whole blackberries, which I increased from 1 cup to 1 1/2 cups. The final yield was exactly 6 cups.

No pics yet but I'll add some later when I serve it.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky