Venison Jerky first try (With Q-VIEW)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cfoxtrot

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
Downriver Michigan
Well here is my first try at some venison jerky...

Started with a shoulder roast and after all the trimming I only ended up with about 1 1/2 lbs of meat.

Here is the recipe I am basing this on...

Ingredients

½  cup Worcestershire

½  cup teriyaki

1 cup coke

½ cup brown sugar

1 tbsp pepper jerky seasoning (from Hi Mountain jerky season/cure kit)

4 tsp jerky cure (from Hi Mountain jerky season/cure kit)

1 tsp franks hot pepper sauce

2 lbs Venison

Directions

Slice venison in ¼ strips, clean all fat and connective tissue.

Mix Worcestershire, teriyaki, coke, sugar, seasoning & cure thoroughly, place meat in a gallon Ziploc bag and pour mixed ingredients over meat. Squeeze all of the air out of the Ziploc bag. Marinate in refrigerator 12 to 24 hrs.  Squish around the bag a couple of times to make sure meat marinates evenly.

Skewer meat and drip dry for ½ hour,  hang from the top rack in the MES30.

In the smoker (no smoke), damper open, chip loader and tray out, at 110*-120* to dry some, about 90 minutes.

Bump temp to 130*-140*(damper remains open for the duration), add hickory and apple for about 3.5 hrs. Bump temp to 150*-160* for a couple more hrs, then to 170* to finish.

Here is the meat fresh out of the marinade,

Skewered up and drip drying, 

In the smoker ready to go!

Meat in the smoker drying I will update as I go. Hopefully I get something edible!

Wish me luck,

Chris

popcorn.gif
 Looks good so far.
icon14.gif

Ok,

This batch is done....and I am sure you all heard this one...

WIFE: Honey we need to run to the store

SMOKING DUDE: My jerky is getting close, can we wait til it's done

WIFE: We will only be gone an hour

SMOKING DUDE: Ok, because an hour is about all I have

Well 2 hrs later we get home and I run out to the smoker to find the thinner meats are over dried. Not a loss they have great flavor

just a little dryer than I was going for.

If you like a sweeter jerky this is a great recipe! I would definitely smoke this one again!

Finished product. NOTE: not all of the jerky made it on to the plate!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky