venison hindquarters

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice. I started my girls cutting up meat around 5 years old. In their early teens they were breaking down chickens and this year my middle girl cleaned her first venison leg quarter. It was perfect. The bone was clean and all silver skin off with very little meat sacraficed. She wasn't fast but a fine job none the less...JJ

Nice!
Any chance that you may be able to sit back and relax while the kids handle the dirty work? :P

That's the plan. She's getting her hunting license next season. She is 25 and just started showing a real interest last year. All three girls can cut meat and cook but this middle child is the first to get interested in meat on the hoof rather than just coming off foam trays...JJ

Reactions: tallbm
Mine loves to hunt, but work for possessing she has always found other things to do. This year she said, "I'm going to kill three deer this year."

I said "NO!, Unless you are going to start butchering, processing and cooking for turning it into food, IE bolonga, sausages, hot dogs or epanadas." I want to make chorizo this year for meals and epenadas for the freezer. Like homemade hot pockets, but a lot healthier.

I think my daughter will be lucky if she kills a second one. This year is colder and since she got a car with heated seats, its becoming a struggle to sit in a cold tree stand. :D

Reactions: tallbm
Mine loves to hunt, but work for possessing she has always found other things to do. This year she said, "I'm going to kill three deer this year."

I said "NO!, Unless you are going to start butchering, processing and cooking for turning it into food, IE bolonga, sausages, hot dogs or epanadas." I want to make chorizo this year for meals and epenadas for the freezer. Like homemade hot pockets, but a lot healthier.

I think my daughter will be lucky if she kills a second one. This year is colder and since she got a car with heated seats, its becoming a struggle to sit in a cold tree stand. :D
Tell her to stick a toe warmer on each butt cheek.:D

Reactions: archeryrob

One of these has done wonders for me hunting in thin pop up blinds near the windier and much colder Oklahoma border:

It is just enough to keep the feet and toes warm and you can bend down a little and put your hands in front of it to keep the fingers warm. I got it after the time change one year and I found myself in the blind over 2 hours before day light and my damn toes nearly froze off hahaha. I only made it about 90 minutes through day light before I had to go back to camp and warm up.
After that I got MUCH better cold boots (-20F to -30F boots though I think that's a lie), major wool socks, and this heater. I think the heater helped the most of the 3 things. I've never had to leave a blind early since :)

LOL, we hunt out of hang on stand and a couple of doubles. I got her quilted over boots and she has insulated bibs. She needs more layers. I got her military fleece bibs and she liked them, but a girl needs to undress in them to pee in the woods, opps. :oops: :D I am making her a skinning knife for Christmas. Ordered one and my buddy might forge one, if he'd hurry up and USPS would deliver the other blank. She shot one and has a full time teacher sub job through Christmas into early January.

I'm not sure I'm going to see her in the woods much more this year. Maybe when I shoot another one she will get interested again.

She’s going to need youth model gun just to fit with all the layers. Lol. That’s great she’s into hunting. Mrs. Buzzy won’t even shoot a gun at targets. Came from nonhunting family plus a LPN. She’d shoot something then want to bandage it up & care for it. No complaints here. Great help with processing

LOL, we hunt out of hang on stand and a couple of doubles. I got her quilted over boots and she has insulated bibs. She needs more layers. I got her military fleece bibs and she liked them, but a girl needs to undress in them to pee in the woods, opps. :oops: :D I am making her a skinning knife for Christmas. Ordered one and my buddy might forge one, if he'd hurry up and USPS would deliver the other blank. She shot one and has a full time teacher sub job through Christmas into early January.

I'm not sure I'm going to see her in the woods much more this year. Maybe when I shoot another one she will get interested again.

Seem's like she is almost completely geared up... if there ever is such a thing. The knives sound awesome! I may look into having one crafted for me, I never thought of that.

Also until the OP post his results I guess I'll have to spearhead hijacking this thread with hunting and processing talk until he gets back :D

She’s going to need youth model gun just to fit with all the layers. Lol. That’s great she’s into hunting. Mrs. Buzzy won’t even shoot a gun at targets. Came from nonhunting family plus a LPN. She’d shoot something then want to bandage it up & care for it. No complaints here. Great help with processing

Hahaha a youth model. Any help that gets the processing moved along is good help :)
My ol'lady got behind the rifle this year after really enjoying sitting with me in the stand last year and helping spot.
She dropped 3 does and 1 crazy horned cull buck this year. I'm very proud of her!
She didn't do so well on the processing side of things but she took it upon herself to really really clean up the house while the guys cleaned the meat so it actually worked out well in the grander scheme of things :)
full

That's a lot of meat for the freezer. Well done!
Yeah we meat hunt on trophy ranches... translation we shoot the types of deer they need to remove and we eat them :)
She took 4, I took 4, and my brother took 1 doe and 1 small hog.
She and I walked away with like a combined 128 pounds of processed meat! I'm don't really have a need to buy beef now unless it's a steak or a brisket. Also no need to buy sausages :)

Reactions: archeryrob
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky