venison ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

salmonclubber

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 3, 2005
forks washington
hi everyone

i am doing my first venison ham today 15 pound blacktail deer hind leg i baught a brown sugar ham kit from lem products i injected with brown sugar brine and put in a brine for 6 days and put in the smoker hopefully it will turn out ok never done this before
salmonclubber
390e4c57_vbattach10437.jpg

95492f4b_vbattach10436.jpg

Attachments

• 390e4c57_vbattach10437.jpg
    390e4c57_vbattach10437.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 95492f4b_vbattach10436.jpg
    95492f4b_vbattach10436.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 6
hello everyone the ham turned out great took around 15 hours to cook at 225 in the GOSM will make great sandwichs i am taking 2 to work today the only thing is i ran out of propane during the last few mineutes of cooking and i changed tanks just got done lighting it up started to turn temp down when the phone rang ansered the phone forgot about the smoker and the last 5 defgrees cooked on about 3 mineutes cause i left the smoker on at 400 degrees anyway it turned out for the first ham it was pretty good
c8c41f6e_vbattach10438.jpg

Attachments

• c8c41f6e_vbattach10438.jpg
    c8c41f6e_vbattach10438.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 6
Good thing I live alone! Don't have to explain the slobber on the keyboard! :oops:
Congratulations on a successful smoke!
Monty

Now that is a good looking piece of Venison you got there salmonclubber. I can see myself enjoying a center cut of that ham sitting alongside a couple of eggs and some hashbrowns.

hi all now that i have had a few day to try the ham it was real juicy and tender i think it should have been in the brine for another day or maybe two it taste good but i think it should have had more of the ham flavor but i dont know if soaking it for another two days would have given it more flavor or if i should have put it in a stronger brine it was the first and only ham i have done so
taste good should have been excelent the color was good as well as good looks clear through to the bone tender and moist almost juicy nice smoke flavor
over all i think it was a sucsess
happy holidays everyone
salmonclubber

hello cheech
yes i soaked it in a brine i baught a ham kit from lem products it cost around $13.00 i injected it with some brine and soaked it for 5-6 days put in the smoker it turned out great you guys have a great new year
salmonclubber

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky