Venison Godfather Sandwich w/ Au Jus

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thoseguys26

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
Aspen Valley
Smoked Mule Deer Roast slices with caramelized onions & mushrooms, topped with melted Jarlsberg cheese and blanched habanero & serrano peppers.  Served with homemade Au Jus and a side of vinegar & salt kettle chips.

My buddy brought over a Mule Deer roast he wasn't going to get to anytime soon so I was pretty excited to get it in my smoker. 

Soaked it in buttermilk overnight....yah right! I like the natural gamey flavor venison has! Plus, once you season it up, smoke it good & serve it with some Au Jus, come on man!

Mule Deer Roast

Heavy dry rub and put it in fridge overnight.
Smoked (hickory & cherry dust) at 225°F - 235°F until IT was 137° - 4 hours
Wrapped in foil overnight in fridge.
Sliced by hand as thin as possible.

Au Jus - onions, mushrooms, garlic, drippings & 4 cups beef broth, red wine, worcestershire sauce, splash of soy & black pepper. boiled it down quite a bit.

The Rest
Removed seeds from peppers, boiled them in salted water for 2 minutes then drained and chopped em up.

Carmalized onions and shrooms in pan then added sliced Muley and a little Au Jus to moisten it all up.

Built sammy up and topped with Jarlsberg cheese, tossed it under the broiler until melted.

Served it up with some salt & vinegar kettle chips.

If you're hungrier after reading this, then I did my job.

Last edited:
Reactions: candycoated
That looks mighty tasty!
drool.gif

Looks great to me...JJ

Very nice sandwich, I like the color on the meat too. I agree on the key being cooking to med-rare.
Thanks nozzleman, I have never smoked Mule deer before but I've smoked plenty elk and whitetail and it came out the same. Definitely gamier but just as tender!

Sage brush was definitely not this bucks main food source but you could still get a lot of that flavor out of it.

Thanks. I had to blanch the peppers because I was looking for some heat but all I had for peppers was Habanero's and Serrano's!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky