Velveting meat?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

negolien

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Sacramento, Calif.
Hey All,

I read an article on this technique in a Chinese food thread. Anyone have experience with this I usually don't do this when I stir fry or do fried rice

Hey All,

I read an article on this technique in a Chinese food thread. Anyone have experience with this I usually don't do this when I stir fry or do fried rice
Yup, done this for years. Really helps with tougher meats. Just make sure you don't let the baking soda work the meat for more than a half hour to 45 minutes. And rinse it well. Pat dry. And cook away.

Mrs~t~ velvets chicken pieces for various Oriental dishes. I really the texture, and retained moisture. It also seems like the flavor hangs on better too.

Reactions: negolien
I was hoping somebody would explain here instead of sending me off to a different website ...
It's a technique using cornstarch. Add it to the raw meat and it acts as a tenderizer. Then when you cook it the cornstarch helps brown the protein and lock in moisture. That's why Chinese restaurants always have such juicy, flavorful and tender meats in their dishes. There's more science to it than that but you get the idea. I believe some people use baking powder to achieve a similar effect

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I like to add shrooms too. I have a buddy who’s family I often share with and he’s allergic to them. I assume you foraged the shaggy manes?

It's a technique using cornstarch. Add it to the raw meat and it acts as a tenderizer. Then when you cook it the cornstarch helps brown the protein and lock in moisture. That's why Chinese restaurants always have such juicy, flavorful and tender meats in their dishes. There's more science to it than that but you get the idea. I believe some people use baking powder to achieve a similar effect
My oldest son has celiac. So wheat flour is out and the GF flours are a PITA. So we started using corn starch a bunch, from dredging to gravy we started using corn starch. This was 10 years ago. Our food had a noticeable uptick that we really liked. He is 19 now but we have adjusted most all of our cooking to using corn starch and when I go back to flour occasionally for just the wife and I the dish isn’t as good in many cases. Never knew about the powers of corn starch this way but makes sense now reading this. It’s fantastic.

My oldest son has celiac. So wheat flour is out and the GF flours are a PITA. So we started using corn starch a bunch, from dredging to gravy we started using corn starch. This was 10 years ago. Our food had a noticeable uptick that we really liked. He is 19 now but we have adjusted most all of our cooking to using corn starch and when I go back to flour occasionally for just the wife and I the dish isn’t as good in many cases. Never knew about the powers of corn starch this way but makes sense now reading this. It’s fantastic.
I also went to mostly corn starch when I started having issues with gluten maybe 15 years ago, or so. The rest of my family, who don't have issues still like what I do using corn starch as a thickener as well as, if not better than when I used wheat flour. I will say that there are some things that can't be duplicated without wheat flour, but for the most part, I don't miss it.

So in researching this some... I'm assuming this pretty much only works on small bite size pieces of meat... Doesn't work on whole muscle meats I gather ?

Reactions: TNJAKE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky