Vegetable Soup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
In the freezer I had a ham bone and some skin left over from Christmas so into a pot of water for a "3 hour tour"...
20230103_113235[1].jpg

Boiled until the meat fell off the bone. Removed the skin, bones, and fat...
20230103_164146[1].jpg

Any vegetables you like can be added. I added fresh chopped carrots, sweet corn, a quart of tomatoes, green beans, sweet peas, blackeye peas, baby lima beans, and 4 small russet potatoes cut up. About 1 heaping TBSP of coarse pepper, but no salt. The ham itself has enough salt. Brought it back to a boil until all the vegetables were tender...
20230103_170224[1].jpg

Time to eat...
20230103_182154[1].jpg

The carrots and potatoes were fresh, the tomatoes were my next to last quart of home canned, the corn was some I cut off the cob and froze, the rest of the vegetables were frozen from the grocery store. All stuff I had in my freezer.

This soup is especially good to us on these cold, gray, dreary winter days, but it's in the low 70's and sunny now...:emoji_laughing: Still good, though...

Very nice . I bet the ham base is fantastic .
We went from -31 wind chills to 72 degrees in about a week and a half .

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Very nice . I bet the ham base is fantastic .
We went from -31 wind chills to 72 degrees in about a week and a half .
Rich, the ham base is great. I also do a beef base, but I think the ham is our favorite. There's so much flavor in the bones and meat and not much seasoning needs to be added.

And the weather?? 12℉-14℉ for a few days to this, several days in the upper 60's to lower 70's, but I like this a whole lot better...:emoji_wink:

Looks fantastic Charles you're killing it lately.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks fantastic Charles you're killing it lately.

Point for sure
Chris
Thank you, Chris. Since my surgery, I'm slowly getting to the point where I can get back to cooking with minimal help. Still can't lift much and using a knife bothers my shoulder after a few minutes, but getting there...

That soup looks delicious! Warms me up just looking at it! Wish we would get colder or warmer...right around 30 to 32 degrees so ice yesterday, snow overnight. I'll send ya a blankie to help keep you warm! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

• Haha
That soup looks delicious! Warms me up just looking at it! Wish we would get colder or warmer...right around 30 to 32 degrees so ice yesterday, snow overnight. I'll send ya a blankie to help keep you warm! :emoji_blush:

Ryan
Thanks, Ryan! Crazy weather here today. Just got through a tornado warning until 11:00am, one was spotted on radar heading our way. 70℉ now and pouring rain. Send a raincoat and umbrella instead...🤣

Edit to add we're under a flash flood warning now...

Wow! Give me some of that, please! Soup bones make everything better! Looks amazing, killer job on crushing a soup!
Thanks Jed!! It was very flavorful and the bones really make the difference...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky