Vacon, done!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cooker613

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 12, 2017
Arizona
Now that the holidays are over, I was able to finish my Vacon (veal breast “bacon”). I cured it (thanks pop), smoked it over maple wood, with a maple syrup glaze, because it seemed like a good idea at the time.

5B057F26-1ED6-413E-9FF4-24564F0A1C2B.jpeg
Veal breast just cut from the bone

E2D558A6-2999-4E91-A1E2-EDE6DE73DD5A.jpeg
The other side, I think it looks like a little pork belly (not that I’m any expert on the subject)

F18849B6-5D27-42BD-9720-B31D0E50B67B.jpeg
Cured and on the smoker

A6B83C60-1767-47FB-ABCC-72FEFC93E8CD.jpeg
After about a hour at ~135 degrees

C97A148D-F4C3-4829-88B9-16D91C27B072.jpeg
Flipped, the other side

D5B1610C-C1DB-40D9-8C53-4E1C4F47618F.jpeg
Done and cooling on kitchen counter

29DE458C-62C6-44DA-88F2-5D35ECDCC557.jpeg
Sliced

C367D700-93F7-4311-AC64-3C40D42C7CC2.jpeg
More slices. I think it looks like bacon. Tastes pretty good too. It tastes like what I imagine bacon tastes like; a little salty, sweet, smoky, and a bit crunchy. I think next time I need a bigger breast, only ended up with a little than 2 lbs.

Thats great looking. Any idea if it was beef or dairy?

This is common meats and potato country. Veal would be considered too exotic for all these norskys and german russians. (Which I am). I can't even convince anyone that grilled lamb chops are delicious.

That looks awesome! I think at the very least it qualifies as looking like bacon..

Now can you wrap things in it too? I'm always curious if bacon substitutes have that going for them.

It's above freezing right now, was snowing earlier. A week from now it could be in the 70s or 80s. We don't complain too much unless it's below zero. And I still cook outside a couple times a week.

It's above freezing right now, was snowing earlier. A week from now it could be in the 70s or 80s. We don't complain too much unless it's below zero. And I still cook outside a couple times a week.

What's for dinner?
Blizzard Burgers.... LOL!

When I lived in Wyoming, we finally bought a house in town.
We put in a Jenn-Aire Range with the downdraft ventilation. And it had a drop in grill.
It blew the aromas out a vent pipe through a wall in the garage near the front door.

-50° in January, and the neighborhood smelled like steak grilling....
:mad:<neighbors.

Ya know, I have never been cold since I left Wyoming....

Doesn't the smell of grilling steak in winter make everyone crazy hungry? California in the winter would be heaven, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for for that miracle.

That looks awesome! I think at the very least it qualifies as looking like bacon..

Now can you wrap things in it too? I'm always curious if bacon substitutes have that going for them.

I was thinking of a fatty but the slices are a little short. Baybe something lie a fatty burger

Looks really good cooker, now you need to get a friend whose tried bacon to tell you if its live or is it memorex.

Point for sure.

Chris

Reactions: cooker613
I heard rumblings about this, I will admit I was a NON believer. Looking at the photos, I am now a Believer as it looks fantastic. Nice job and strong work.

Reactions: cooker613
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky