Vac Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So, all of us that vacuumed meat to marinate. Have hallucinated the difference? Cough, cough, BS, cough. I know that when I vacuum marinate chicken with teriyaki. I see the color clear to the center.

Reactions: chopsaw
I looked at that and thought, WTF? There are hundreds of episodes of Chopped, Beat Bobby Flay and Iron Chef, where marinated Meat gets Vac-Packed to speed infusion. Veggies get Vac-Packed with a Vinaigrette for a Quick Pickle and so on.
I thought you guys might appreciate the detail. I have to say, If it can be validated, the Green Dyed Chicken was pretty compelling...JJ

Well, HPP, high pressure processing is not used for infusion of flavors. At least not at our company. It is used to stabilize the flavors. And gives it a longer "fresh" taste and longer shelf life. The one we run at work is capable of reaching 87,000 psi. Which is around 6000ATM. We do everything from fresh OJ to hams. Not sure what the point was even bringing that up.
The dye test was only for 1 hour. Is it safe to assume that after 12 hours it would penetrate further under vacuum? Still, I know what I see and taste from doing speed marinates and pickles.

I'm trying it and will see.
3 days later, I don't know but my meat is not really vac packed it's not leaking that I can see.
Will up date later.

What does putting that pressure to OJ accomplish? Just curious...JJ

What does putting that pressure to OJ accomplish? Just curious...JJ

It will allow freshly squeezed orange juice to maintain its freshness without being pasteurized. It is amazingly delicious OJ. Just a bit $$ for my budget, around 24.00 a gallon. It has orange juice only. No water or anything else add to it. We get bins of fresh oranges. And we squeeze them on site.

$24 a Gallon? You can buy a Cuisinart Electric Juicer for a buck more and make all the OJ you want. Who buys that OJ?...JJ

Enough people to warrant running the line 24/5.

Holy Crap! Where isn't sold. I don't recall seeing it at any grocery stores. I hate processed OJ taste nothing like fresh squeezed...JJ

Holy Crap! Where isn't sold. I don't recall seeing it at any grocery stores. I hate processed OJ taste nothing like fresh squeezed...JJ

Most Wegmans carry it. If you get a chance try it. It is sold in quarts, 1/2 gallon, and gallons.

Thanks. No Wegmans closer than a 3 hour drive. But my oldest lives a couple of miles from one, in the big city. I'll have to talk her into getting some when she comes out in Feb...JJ

Reactions: Steve H
Vac sealed dry cure bacon is easier to put in the fridg. Taste is a little difference and is firmer than wet cure. I am a little more towards the wet cure. I also use pork butts for my bacon.
Either way good luck with yours.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky