Utopenci

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bill ace 350

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
Love pickled sausages. Have made lots and lots of pickled sausage and pickled hot dogs using, vinegar, spices etc.

Found a Czech recipe for "Utopenci", a type of pickled sausage.

According to the recipe, kielbasa is most often used, but any fully cooked sausage will work.

This recipe calls for the sausage to be cut in lengths, cut lengthwise, almost all the way through.

The sausages are then opened, smeared with mustard, thinly sliced onion placed in the sausage, and the sausage is then closed back up and placed into a sterilized jar, with thinly sliced onions, placed between each layer, even thinly sliced hot peppers added for flavor.

Vinegar and spices, such as whole allspice, peppercorns etc are boiled, then poured into the jars, fully covering the sausage.

lids are placed on the jars, and the recipe calls for 21 days of refrigeration before sampling.

I picked up my supplies at the commissary today. Will post pics this weekend, maybe sooner.

Following this. I have been wanting to make something like this for a long time.

Reactions: bill ace 350
Following this. I have been wanting to make something like this for a long time.

Cool! Only thing I couldn't find at the commissary was whole allspice. Will look for it elsewhere.
I bought Hillshire Farms Beef Smoked Kielbasa for this attempt.

They have natural skins/casings which I will remove prior to preparing them.

Forgot to mention the recipe I want to follow called for removing the casing.

Think I might pick up some half-gallon canning jars, if they make such a thing.... might be easier than quart jars

I love any kind of old school bar food! Pigs feet, pickled eggs, smoked fish, jerky and pickled sausages.
Reading your description I’m trying to understand the geometry of the link. Never seen that type. But down here pickled sausage is typically a hot link kind of affair.
...Sitting next to Adam to see what happens next. B

Following as well. Sounds very interesting. Big jars should help a lot. I like the idea of using store bought sausage instead of sacrificing good homemade to a test.

Oh, this is dangerous!
There is about a half a Kielbasa in the Fridge from the other day. The wife fried some up with eggs, sooo good!
Where's Al? Al would probably love this.
I've made pickled Hot Dogs and Onions. Talk about Bar Food, Bri. Make it hot and beer chasers.
Ohhh... I even have some empty Mason jars.... Oh dang! And a fresh jug of vinegar... :eek:

Double dang! No fresh onion. Guess I'm goin to the market...

Last edited:
Reactions: bdskelly
I have one gallon glass jars to try this with.

I'm in.Growing up,a buddies dad used to bring something like this back from PA dutch country where he grew up.They were excellent.
Bobby Popcorn.jpg

Picked up 6 2 quart ball canning jars at Walmart on the way home from work tonight. They're in the dishwasher with some detergent and bleach, will boil them before filling them.

Anyway, couldn't find whole allspice, so will have to use ground.

Any idea on how to convert a half-teaspoon of whole allspice to ground measurements?

Will use white onion and red onion, and some Kuhne German mustard.

I will change the recipe just a little. It calls for salt and whole peppercorns.

I'll substitute smoked peppercorns and smoked coarse salt for the regular.

I'm also gonna add some sliced jalepeno.

Also picked up some Eckrich Polska Keilbasa in addition to the Hillshire farms, for a total of about 6 pounds. Go big or go home, right?

Pics to follow.

1/2t whole Allspice is about 1/4t ground. Eckrich is way closer to the real deal than Hillshire. Good luck...JJ

Be sure the sausage isn't to greasy,the hot brine will release it into the jars.
Richie

I plan on boiling the water, vinegar and spices, then cooling it prior to adding to the jars, the recipe i'm using also mentioned this.

meatsandsausages.com had a recipe that was a little different than the one bill Ace describes. Going to give that a try. Maybe do a mash up of the two. I really like the idea of the mustard. Got some Guldens spicy brown that would work awfully nice.

Very nice job, bill ace. Sounds like you're on the right track for some great upcoming snacks. Like!

Though I,ve never made my own utopenci, which literally translates to "Drowned Man", I've had more than my fair share of it throughout the Czech Republic, especially in and around Prague. Your thread has inspired me to try my hand at it in the near future.

Utopenci, and the same 4 or 5 other snacks are something that you'll find in any and every pub or bar in the CR. Sort of a national heritage kind of thing, and they don't vary much. From place to place, utopenci, for the most part, is pretty much the same with a slight variation in the spices used. The one major exception is the type of sausage used. In some places they use what's casually called a "Parky" which is basically a frankfurter that's been boiled to cook before processing. Other places use a short fat sausage known as a klobasa (similar to a kielbasa) which has been cured and smoke cooked. The former's OK, but I far before the latter.

One thing that you didn't mention is that the casings are always removed before processing. Did you do that with yours?

Great job.

Reactions: bill ace 350
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky