Utopenci

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks! I had them back in the day there before it was known as the Czech Republic.
Had similar snacks while in Poland, a long, long time ago.

I used skinless Kielbasa.

Here are the ingredients straight from the recipe I found-

Total time: 40 min.
Resting in the fridge:
With hot liquid 3 days.
With cold liquid 7 – 14 days.

3 cups water
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp whole peppercorns
1/2 tsp whole all spice
3 bay leaves
2 polish kielbasa (13 oz each)
1 onion
mustard of your choice

2 quart size wide mouth mason jars

I made the following changes-

ground allspice, couldn't find whole.
hickory smoked whole peppercords
smoked kosher salt
used red onion
added sliced jalepenos

I have 6 more packs of Kielbasa to use.

I might try experimenting with the spices, such as adding mustard seed, crushed red pepper etc., nothing too drastic.

I will slice the onion thinner, and use tooth picks to close the sausage tightly around the onion.

2 quart size wide mouth mason jars

Reactions: bdskelly
This caught my attention so I thought I'd give it a try. I only made a small batch, one quart jar, and used turkey hot dogs instead of sausage. This is just a test to see if I like it. I messed with the recipe a little because that is just what I do. I added a bit of mustard seed to the pickling brine and used some of my wife's homemade pickling spice mix which contains the allspice, bay leaf and some other secret stuff. I also added a bit of store bought "Chicago style" hot jiardiniera to the jar.

Simmering the pickling brine.
_DSC0017.JPG

Garlic, onion, jalapino, franks.
_DSC0018.JPG

Stuffing - mustard,onion, jalapino.
_DSC0019.JPG

Now for a nice week long (or more) rest in the refer.
_DSC0021.JPG

Reactions: bill ace 350
I love any kind of old school bar food! Pigs feet, pickled eggs, smoked fish, jerky and pickled sausages.
Reading your description I’m trying to understand the geometry of the link. Never seen that type. But down here pickled sausage is typically a hot link kind of affair.
...Sitting next to Adam to see what happens next. B

LOL---You missed "Blind Robbins"---There's some nasty little suckers I used to love!!!

I'm keeping an eye on this Bill Ace !!!
Sounding good so far!!
Bear

No way can I wait 14 days. I will be sampling Sunday at 7 days.

Opened a jar of the utopenci made with the Ekrich brand.

Very good flavor, but will add some additional spices next time around,maybe mustard seed, celery seed, possibly fennel.

The onions and jalepenos were very crispy and tasty.

I didn't care for the texture of the Ekrich sausage, a little "crumbly".

Will compare to the Hillshire Farms when I open one of those.

All in all, very tasty and enjoyable snack.

Had one with a pickled egg, a few slices of smoked extra sharp cheddar and a cold one.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky